Empty context titles appearing in perspectives - and how to hide them

OK, here are URLs you can use to control this behavior in r209607. The first turns off empty contexts in the main outline, the second turns them back on, and the third returns to whatever our default behavior is:

omnifocus:///change-preference?MainOutlineIncludesEmptyContexts=false
omnifocus:///change-preference?MainOutlineIncludesEmptyContexts=true
omnifocus:///change-preference?MainOutlineIncludesEmptyContexts

We don’t think hidden preferences are the ideal solution to every problem, but we hope this at least helps the situation for now!

10 Likes

hum… I tried to run this in Terminal, but it told me the file didn’t exist… any ideas for someone not-so-familiar with the Terminal?

Enter it as a URL in your web browser.

1 Like

Thanks Ken and co. for the quick and dirty trick! I am now no longer overwhelmed by all my empty contents.

Thank you! It’s great to get the clean look back again.

Thanks Ken! Those URL hacks are like a bit of magic.

Thank you - nice to have all my actions in one screen now. Although it did make me review whether it is time to retire some contexts…

In previous iterations of OmniFocus 2, if you selected a subset of contexts from the side menu, you would only see contexts/context headers under which were were “active” actions.

Example, you choose “Office” for the context, the main window might show “three” nested Office contexts where there were “active” actions (let’s say, for this example, that you were only looking at flagged actions).

Now, under the same circumstances, if you choose “Office”, it shows you all the context headers in the main window, whether or not there is an “active” action or now. You might just see a context header and nothing beneath it.

Is there a way to hide those context headers that have no active under them?

Yes, there is. Please see the existing thread on this topic.

threads merged.

I tried this in the latest test build of v87 r209636 and it didn’t work. Is there any update for the latest release? Thanks!

Where is the hidden preference to hide empty context?

@rogbar, please see this thread.

1 Like

Oh, thank heavens there’s a hidden pref for this. Glad I searched, a little piece of me was dying every day since r209302. I kept scouring the view options figuring I must have screwed something up.

Hidden preference = non-ideal
Hidden preference = WAY better than nothing.

Love you, Omni. ;-)

I have a perspective with these settings. The resulting perspective looks like this.

I find it annoying that I have to see these huge contexts that have nothing in them. (Eg. Errands, Home : Phone, Home : Mac). If I set Filter Contexts to “Active”, it removes, in this case, Home : Phone and Home : Mac, but Errands remains. Ideally, I’d only see Errands : Columbia, and Errands would be hidden as well.

Please see Ken’s post in the existing thread on this topic.

Excellent. Thanks, Kyle. Didn’t find that thread when I searched.

I’ll re-title this thread to try and make it easier to find. Thanks for searching in the first place!

By the way, if the hidden preference in @kcase’s post is helpful to you, please ‘like’ the post. That’s one of the ways that Discourse figures out which posts are the most important/useful ones; it tries to make those posts easier for other visitors to find. So, by liking the post, you’re helping everyone else that has this problem in the future. Thanks!

2 Likes

I find there are somethings strange in the hidden preference.

First, this Hidden means “This Context is TOTAL Empty and had nothing in it” not “This Context is Empty in this Perspective” Maybe the latter is much more useful and graceful.

Second, if I choose a context in SideBar Selection and that context is empty, when I click the Perspective, the context is not there and the sidebar will have no focus on the context. Could it be better show the context if the context is empty when the context is selected at “Sidebar Selection”?