Are custom fonts/colors/styling in the outline view supported? [Supported in v2.5]

I’d like to add my voice to those calling for more customization options for fonts, colors, and other elements. I find it difficult to see light grey text and icons on the main pane’s bright white background, and the fixed-size text in the sidebar is too small for me. Even if there is no way to apply themes in the first release of 2.0, some options to address these UI issues would be helpful.

2 Likes

For me, it’s very black and white. If the style options aren’t coming back, I’m not upgrading, period. The new layout wastes an enormous amount of space, no longer fits side-by-side with OmniOutliner (where I’ve had it for years), and at least for me, there is no benefit to this new spacious layout. Classic case of form over function.

If it’s two or three years before we regain the ability to decide how we want our own lists to look, then that’s how long it’ll be before I upgrade. And if OF1 stops working in the meantime, then I guess I’ll go find something else that actually works the way I need and want it to.

8 Likes

Yeah, can well understand that sentiment. Styling options and great variability of “Your personal OF” is one of the hallmarks of OF1. If it won’t return until june, maybe until the end of the year? It’s requested badly and could be combined in a new style drawer together with data density settings ;-)

Hi,

I really like the new UI (much better then the previous beta version) but in my opinion there is just too much Windows grey being used for the interface - which just looks a bit dated.

I’m not good at using Photoshop but I have made 2 different themes. I have just used the paint bucket to change the colors so the lines between the icons in the sidebar are missing, the icons are a bit messed up and there isn’t any shade in the menu bar anymore. (It is highly appreciated if someone has the skill and time to make it more professional looking)

I’d also recommend to completely remove the status bar at the bottom of the window as this also looks dated and isn’t even used in new apps like Numbers, Pages or Airmail. I’m sure there is another way to incorporate the current functions of the statusbar.

This is the dark theme (inspired by Twitter, Airmail, Photoshop CC):

This is the light theme:

This is the default grey:

and this is Windows NT:

That Windows NT skin for OmniFocus is awesome!

1 Like

@psidnell it would be funny if they’d really call it “Windows NT Skin” in the settings :D

These are the same themes without status bar. My point with all these pictures is just that there are so many different colors you could use instead of sticking to the more than dated looking Windows grey.

light without statusbar:

dark without statusbar:

1 Like

In a previous life, I would customize everything. I have become a lover of “default” for a couple of years now. That being said, I made some adjustments to color coding in OF1 (next action, deferred, waiting) that has really helped me when scanning projects, along with reviewing.

This and one other issue already being addressed (off topic here), are the two reasons I am really struggling to use OF2 regularly.

The irony for me: I find the OF2 iPhone app and the reviewing feature in OF1 on iPad to be AMAZING. So you would think I would be in heaven with OF2 on the Mac even without the custom themes/colors. I want to love everything about it, but it is still a round peg in a square hole for my daily routine.

It’s close, so I think it just needs more time (we have another couple of months). It will get there. :)

Please add font size settings for OF2. If I increase the font size of the task items, Context, Projects, and Folders look tiny and create an unpleasant experience when working with OF.

Font size and style are essential for more than just the task items.

There is also not font size option for notes.

I must say that lack of font size and style option is a deal breaker for me.

4 Likes

In OF1 Preferences, the style tab allows one to set custom font, sizes, colors, backgrounds, etc. for everything. I can’t find any way to do this in OF2, so I’m stuck with all the default styles. Am I missing something, or is this just not yet included in the Beta?

The big question is - will font size and stye option be included at all?

1 Like

There is the font size slider in Preferences > General, which adjusts the size of titles in the main outline.
We do not plan to offer any additional style customization in 2.0, but are collecting all these requests for future consideration.

“We do not plan to offer any additional style customization in 2.0”

Seriously? That makes 2.0 FAR less usable for me.

3 Likes

Yes, seriously.

I understand that styles may keep you and other participants of this thread from adopting OmniFocus 2 right away. But many people have told us they already find OmniFocus 2 far more useful than OmniFocus 1. We could ask those folks to wait while we add styles. Or we could ship something useful to them, and then continue to add features to make the app even more powerful, and valuable to even more people.

When we are ready to add styles back, we’ll need to understand what styling options are important to folks. So, which OmniFocus 1 style customization options do you find most useful? What additional styling options do you wish it had?

I use styles to visually differentiate many different elements to make it easier to see and use. For instance, flagged items are one color, items due within a certain frame another, overdue items another, etc. I also find it’s very helpful to have different font sizes for headings, items and notes.

This has been important to me not just for print-outs (in fact, printouts without the ability to create custom styles, is a bust), but also for on-screen. Not so much on iOS devices (although it’s nice there), but mainly for my desktop monitor. Since I have a large OF file with lots of items, it helps certain items “pop out” visually from the lengthy list.

4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying this. I can now finally make a decision and stick with TaskPaper.

I find it too uncomfortable to read small font on my Macbook Air 13. Although it is helpful to increase the size of the Task items, having tiny Project and Context items is not acceptable to me.

In the main outline, the project and context size should be adjusting along with the tasks. Do you mean in the sidebar?

Yes, the sidebar looks tiny when the font size is made larger. It makes logical sense that if you change the font size in the entire app, the sidebar will be adjusted appropriately.

Another problem is that the next font size from the default font size is somewhat too big. Something in-between would have been much better.

Status-based styles

2 Likes

Most useful outliner style options for me:
Font selection (I find proximal a great web font but I prefer a font constant with the Mac OS for desktop)
Independent styling for Headings, items and item groups: font sizing and weight would do.
Status styles as timjbuck mentioned above.
Background colour for projects/contexts (currently grey).

I’d be very happy with that.

2 Likes