I’m looking for a way to include “Needs Review” as a filter rule in a custom perspective. This is currently not listed as an option, so perhaps this is a feature request. Or is there a way of setting a “search criterion” for some hidden info?
Here’s the background on my use case:
I like to do my reviews by "area of responsibility” (Teaching, Research, Personal, Admin, etc): each area has its own folder of projects, and I have a project-based custom perspective for each folder.
There are several advantages of using such a custom perspective rather than built-in “Review” setting for my weekly reviews:
- This gives me much more control over how information is presented and filtered – key for prioritizing review tasks. For example, if I know that I’ve got limited time for a review and I don’t want to decision-fatigued before I get to the projects I need to review carefully, adapt the view settings to temporarily show “On Hold” or deferred projects, scan them quickly, and mark them all as reviewed.
- This allows me to review by area of responsibility, which keeps me focused on projects that are related, instead of seeing the flat list of projects under “Review”. (Of course, sorting that as “Ungrouped” does reflect the project order, and thus the folder order, but it is still a flat list – and often an intimidatingly long one, especially if I’ve fallen off the wagon on regular reviews.)
- This also allows me to break down the weekly review in such a way that I’m reviewing different areas on different days. For example, on Wednesdays, I do my “Teaching and Thesis Supervision” review, and Thursday I review my “Personal” area. Breaking it up helps prevent overwhelm.
- What I can’t do, yet, is adjust the filter rules to make the projects disappear as I review them withint this custom perspective.
So, to repeat, what I’d like is a custom perspective with two filter rules:
- Contained within project or folder:
- Needs Review
Does anyone have a workaround? I'll also send this as a feature request to Omni