Attachments Stored in com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2 folder

Hello,

I’m working with the Workflow app on my iPhone to send business receipts (as photos) to OF. Once in OF on my Mac, the pictures are stored in the “com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2” folder.

While I haven’t developed anything at this point, I’ll use Hazel to move or copy the .jpg files to another folder on my mac that is easier to work with when I do my weekly expenses.

My question is what happens to the records in the com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2 folder? When I delete the related task in OF, the files still remain in the com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2 folder.

Another strange thing I’ve seen is when I go to the OF task and double click on the picture, it opens in Preview and the picture replicates in the OF2 folder on my mac…

Depending on how OF and OS X handle this folder will determine whether Hazel copies or deletes the files.

Thanks In Advance,

Brad

~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2/ and really all the folders in ~/Library are not meant for direct user interaction—these are sandboxed folders for apps to keep their important files in. Because of this. what happens to individual files in those folders is not likely to make sense to the user.

If neither the beginning or the end of your workflow involve OmniFocus, I’d recommend finding another solution for the file sync and just having a repeating OmniFocus item for “process receipts in <app>”. Because it wasn’t designed as a file sync app, OmniFocus is likely the wrong tool to use to sync images around.

3 Likes

So sorry for the slowness of my reply! I was moving out of state after being in the same place for 40 years! Stressful times!

Thanks for your reply.

I abandoned my original approach and did a workflow to take a picture, allow some text entry that becomes the filename… ex 13.50-McDonald’s.

Then the workflow renames the picture to with the entered text, appends the current date, converts the pict to pdf, then uploads to OneDrive.

Just in case I lose a picture, I also copy a copy of the picture to my photos in a specific album called Expenses.