Automation in OmniFocus 2.14 (released 2016-04-26)

found my mistake. only works with toplevel contexts

I have 2 questions here:

1. Why the duration and repeat parameters are not supported?
  2. What’s the usage of parallel parameters in this URL:

omnifocus://x-callback-url/add?name=some%20name&note=some%20note&parallel=true

I believe that parallel is just one type of project. Since the URL still couldn’t create a new project that doesn’t exist in OF, set parallel true or false in the URL seems doesn’t matter at all.

As for projects, I hope this will be fixed so we can specify the full path for contexts.

It can be used also for group action.

It seems as though the bug above has been fixed, although I’m still having issues creating a new action from the “Add While Busy” workflow. Worthy of mention – I appended a “Copy URL to clipboard” step to the end of the workflow, and the URL works fine when running from Safari but not when being passed back from Workflow to OF.

You can specify both the estimated duration (using estimate) and the repeat (using repeat-method and repeat-rule).

For more detail, please see the implementation details post:

The parallel and autocomplete settings have no effect when a task is first created. But if you ever break this task down into subtasks, these settings will become active.

If you share an updated copy of the workflow you’re using, I’d be happy to investigate!

1 Like

Here is the workflow: https://workflow.is/workflows/ff246e32c85b452d85e7b259c02d6e3f

On second glance, it actually looks like the two bugs I mentioned previously are still an issue:

1. After running the workflow, OF doesn’t allow editing of any actions. It instead reverts back to the project view of the action selected for editing.
  2. Also, when going to “Search” after the workflow, the magnifying glass icon in the search bar moves to the middle of the search input and doesn’t allow any typing.

These two bugs are in addition to the URL not launching correctly from the Workflow app to OF (although it works from Safari to OF).

Hmm, that workflow worked just fine for me just now. But maybe it’s a device-specific issue? I’m using an iPad, what device are you using?

Oh, and I guess I’m also using a test build of Workflow. Ari and I worked on solving some issues and it’s possible that you’re running into one of the things he fixed in these builds.

1 Like

I’m using an iPhone with iOS 9.3.1.

Just because it has not been mentioned yet: if you use Drafts with OmniFocus and also have TextExpander installed, you can prepare project templates with fill-in snipptes. One made-up example:

- %filltext:name=Workgroup%: Introduce %filltext:name=App% @parallel(false) @autodone(true)
    - Install %filltext:name=App% @context(%filltext:name=Workgroup%)
    - Received questions about %filltext:name=App%? @context(Waiting) @defer(next Friday)
    - Prepare FAQ for %filltext:name=App% @context(Office)

You have to enter Workgroup and App only once, Textexpander will then paste the complete project into Drafts. In Drafts, you just have to create the following URL action to send it to OmniFocus:

omnifocus://x-callback-url/paste?target=projects&content=[[draft]]

You can of course tweak the URL to your liking.

4 Likes

Excellent idea, I’d not thought of doing it like that through Drafts 👍🏼

The latest TestFlight build fixes this: you should now be able to specify the full path to a project or context in the /add URL action.

I just tested on my iPhone, and was able to reproduce the problem when using the shipping build of Workflow. The good news is that it’s fixed when using the test build of Workflow.

Great to hear, thanks Ken!

Indeed works like a charm. Thanks !

Love TextExander but if I can do something with less tools I like to.

You can make a draft action with a step to place this on the clipboard:

- [[body]]: Introduce [[title]] @parallel(false) @autodone(true)
- Install [[title]] @context([[body]])
- Received questions about [[title]]? @context(Waiting) @defer(next Friday)
- Prepare FAQ for [[title]] @context(Office)

You can add another step to the same draft action to post the clipboard to a URL:

omnifocus://x-callback-url/paste?target=projects&content=[[clipboard]]

Create a new draft with “app” on line 1 and “workgroup” on line 2. Clipboard then has the same contents without TextExpande.

Then I can even use Siri to “Add to my Drafts list”.
Siri: “what do you want to add to your drafts list”
Me: “OmniFocus newline Sales Team Vegas”

Then when I process my drafts, I pick the action. The Watch with Drafts as a complication also does nicely.

5 Likes

Hi folks. I am new to Omnifocus but love to beta test apps. I was wondering if there are any openings in your beta program for iOS? Will be using it on my iPhone 6s Plus for starters.

Thank you!

@zemackdaddy That’s nice, especially for using it with Siri. If you need more placeholders, you could also use [[line1]] to [[lineN]] instead.

I chose Textexpander because it enables me to paste projects into other apps, because I would probably not remember the order of my placeholders for infrequently used templates and because I hope to be able to use it with OF on the Mac soon. ;)

Another good idea, thanks!

What I didn’t realise until today (because I’m not a dev) is that with the provided Editorial workflow, I can add any parameter I need as part of an action and then add it into further actions,

e.g. I started to set up separate taskpaper projects for different types of meetings which effectively have the same actions. I’ve now got one taskpaper project in Editorial which I’ve set a parameter for type of meeting and another for different roles in the meeting which can just be filled in when I run the script.

Things just get easier and easier :-D.