Can I change the notification sound? [Yes, new feature in OmniFocus 3]

Can I change the notification sound? I find it a little jarring. I’ve searched for a way to change the sound to something gentler but I can’t find a setting.

You can change the sound on iOS using a hidden preference. It just needs to be one of the in-built iOS sounds.

Eeek, just tried to change it to Chime using omnifocus:///change-preference?DueAlertSound=Chime.caf and it’s just set it to use a SMS sound which is even worse and I can’t figure out how to reset it.

Maybe try leaving the sound file bit empty, stopping with the equal sign?
This: omnifocus:///change-preference?DueAlertSound=

Hi,

Where do you exactly have to tap this “code”?

Evening all from Sweden,

After a search on the forums and manual there doesn’t appear to be a clear answer, I’m wondering if I’m missing something obvious. Currently OmniFocus for iOS has a default sound for ‘DUE REMINDERS.’ I find the sound unattractive and while I know I can turn it off, is there a way to change the sound as in other similar apps? I see no options with iOS to change this sound.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Christopher

Hi Christopher,

You can use a URL like omnifocus:///change-preference?DueAlertSound=Bell.caf on the device to change the sound. That URL will change the sound to a Bell. You’ll need to know the name of the sound you want to use, and once you click the link also confirm the setting change. This setting is on each device, so if you have multiple devices, you may want to set it on each one.

Note: Make sure in Settings under Sounds, Alerts, and Badges you have sounds enabled.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Lanette

5 Likes

Thanks Lanette,

I admit that seems an odd way to change the sound but it seems to have worked, thanks for the help!

Christopher

Really helpful and exact reply

This doesn’t seem to work on iOS 11. Anyone had luck? -p

Hi, there must be an option in the settings menu.

Many users have requested customizable notifications over the years, and I’m happy to report that this feature is being added in OmniFocus 3 for iOS! OmniFocus 3 offers new Flexible Notifications (as described in our OF3 announcement blog post here) which greatly expand on the types of notifications you can set up on actions.

In addition to what’s written in that blog post, we’ve included a variety of new alert tones that you can select from when setting up notifications. In the OmniFocus 3 Settings, tap Sounds and Alerts in the Notifications section, then tap Sounds. If Notify with Sound is enabled, you can then select which sound to use for each notification type — like Deferred, Due, Custom, Location (When Arriving), and so on.

This feature is already available in the current public test builds of OmniFocus 3 for iOS, and will be officially released to the general public when OmniFocus 3 ships on May 30th.