Can OmniFocus for iPad 1.6.2 sync with OmniFocus 2 on my iMac?

I use OmniFocus almost exclusively on my iMac. Occasionally, when I’m away from my office, I’ll use OmniFocus on my iPad 2 to check the status of a project and perhaps add a new item.

I’d like to upgrade to OmniFocus 2 on my iMac, but I’m concerned what will happen with OmniFocus on my iPad. I’ve resisted upgrading my iPad 2 to iOS 8 due to the reported performance problems on “old” iPads.

Will OmniFocus for iPad 1.6.2 sync with OmniFocus 2 on my iMac?

– Ward

It does for me. It does have glitches where it does not immediately recognize the sync server and you have to click Cancel in a Dialog Box a few times (or perhaps that is the iPhone version of OF 1.x). The sync in OF 1.x is manual only not background.

As you make the jump, it goes without saying to

• sync all databases across all platforms you use first and foremost
  • backup your Mac database and copy the backup to a second, secure location
  • shut down all of your iOSX platform apps (swipe them to close or turn off entirely your iOSX devices)
  • update OF 1.x -> OF 2.x on you Mac
  • assure that all is well and proper with the new install on your desktop
  • sync the new OF 2.x database
  • backup the desktop database and copy the backup to a second, secure location (again)
  • allow suitable time to pass (overnight)
  • assure the database is still OK on the desktop and make absolutely no changes to the desktop content
  • restart the iOSX platform apps one at a time
  • as needed and/or requested during the attempt to sync the iOSX devices, overwrite the existing iOSX database with the new sync database

The change over may be easier than this to do, with some steps perhaps being overkill. In any case, these steps should give a rigorous way to make sure that, should something go wrong, it is not because you did not do something esoteric but essential or because you did something entirely out of sequence.

JJW

1 Like