Cleaning Imported Tag Names?

I am trying the tedious process of importing tasks from Things 3 via CSV–OmniOutliner–OmniFocus. This is working ok, but I have one question. Tags are being imported like this:

Import of 2019-01-02 04:04:24 +0000
    Week
    Today
    Etc

I then move “week” up out of that hierarchy. However, the tasks are still tagged:

Import of 2019-01-02 04:04:24 +0000:week

Which looks bad in the outline view, as it makes it impossible to tell what the tag actually is, it just says “I…”

How can I make the tags of the tasks what the tags actually say, without the “import” text?

Edit: some of the tasks are tagged “week”, but if I move them out of the “Imported” hierarchy, and into the plain “week” tag, now they are tagged “week” twice??

1 Like

Hi there! Welcome to OmniFocus.

I think what’s happening here is that on import, OmniFocus creates all the tags it finds in your OmniOutliner document anew, under an “Import of…” group. To clean this up, you can:

1. Open the Tags perspective from the OmniFocus sidebar
  2. Find the “Import of…” group that was just created
  3. Select all the tags under that group in the sidebar
  4. Press command-[ to outdent those tags
  5. Select the “Import of…” group, which should now be empty
  6. Press Backspace to delete the empty group

At this point, you might still have some duplicate tags. Those are quick to fix up as well! For example, let’s say you have a “Week” tag that was preexisting, and a new one that was created during the import.

What you can do is select either week tag in the Tags sidebar, then select all the tasks having that tag in the main outline. Once selected, you can drag the tasks and drop them on the other week tag, so all the tasks have both week tags. (OmniFocus won’t add the same tag to a task more than once, but will allow you to have two tags with the same name.) After all the tasks have both tags, you can delete one or the other tag, leaving all the tasks with just the desired week tag.

I hope that helps! If you have more questions, feel free to write in to our support team, and they’ll be happy to help get you up and running.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.