Convert project to folder

I searched for a resolution on this topic to no avail. Currently I have a project that I would like to convert to a folder, while keeping all actions in the project. At this point, I would have to create a new folder, move the actions to that folder, delete the project, then name the folder the same as the project. This seems a bit convoluted.

Is there a way to convert a project into a folder without having to go through the steps above?

For example:

Project: “Course 101”
Action 1
Action 2
Action 3
Action 4

converted to:

Folder: “Course 101”
Action 1
Action 2
Action 3
Action 4

This way, I would be able to create new projects within that folder, without having to go through the process of moving actions to a new folder, deleting the project (which I have to do if I could name the folder the same as the project) then move the actions into the new folder.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (My first post on the forums, by the way, so, hello…)

Hi, welcome to the forums!

I’m afraid it would not be possible currently to set things up exactly as you’re describing. In OmniFocus, folders are offered exclusively as an organization and containment mechanism for your projects, so that you don’t have to keep all your projects in a flat list. At this time, it is not possible to add individual actions directly to a folder as you’ve illustrated, nor do we offer a method for converting a project into a folder (and presumably promoting all the actions contained within).

I’ll add you to the relevant feature requests for this in our development tracker — we can’t work in every feature that our users suggest, but we really appreciate them, and we can promise that each suggestion will be read and considered.

In the meantime, if you’d be willing to describe your workflow in more detail to give others a better understanding of why you’re looking for this configuration, perhaps another member of our user community would be able to provide some suggestions for alternative ways of approaching this!

@LICProf,

If this isn’t a procedure that you’ll be doing often, why not create a (new) Folder called, say, Courses; and then:

1. drag any existing Projects (which you have created) outside that Folder (e.g. ‘Course 101’) into it, and
  2. only create subsequent Projects (already) inside the Folder.

Good luck!

Or, you can set up your project containing actions with sub-actions:

• Project
    • task
      • sub task
      • sub task
      • sub task
    • task
      • sub task
      • sub task
      • sub task
    • task