Convert Task to Project (In Current Folder): OmniJS PlugIn (Mac/iOS)

Sometimes, it is useful to convert a Task to a Project inside the current folder. If the Project is not in a Folder, the Project is created at the root of the database.

Thanks to the wonderful help of @draft8 and the library https://github.com/RobTrew/prelude-jxa, I did this cross-platform OmniJS PlugIn.

Before:

After:

Link:

1 Like

I do this all the time! I guess I finally have a reason to dig into omni automation. Thank you!

1 Like

New version using convertTasksToProjects() method and parentFolder property included in recent updates of OmniFocus API.

1 Like

This is the updated link:

Noob question 😄: I see that after opening the script it is placed into the “Automation” menu. Is there a way to use this automation instead when doing “CMD + !”?

Yes, you can assign a shortcut to it.

Automation > Configure...

Oh thanks! I should have seen that 😄

I get the following message:

The key combination “Command + Shift + 1” can’t be used because it’s already used by the menu item:

“Automation ▸ Convert Tasks to Projects (Here)”.

I guess we must use a shortcut that is not already used.

Thanks for the reply 🙏

This is true if you try to manually assign a key combo (1) in the Automation ▸ Configure… menu and (2) OmniFocus already uses that key combo.

But, if you use a Keyboard Maestro macro to trigger the automation (using a hotkey trigger and the Select or Show Menu Item action) the Keyboard Maestro macro will override OmniFocus and allow you to use whatever key combo you like — even one that OmniFocus has already assigned to another command!

1 Like

For anyone wishing that the automation would place the newly created project at the end of the list of projects in the current folder, simply change line 25 to read:

) : location.ending
1 Like