Copying just the task name (on mac)

I like the new task paper clipboard syntax, but I would still like the option to copy just the task name. I don’t always want all that detail and I definitely don’t want to have to clean it all up every time.

Not the best solutions but you could:

• hit “e” to trigger editing, then CMD+C to copy.
  • use keyboard maestro to open the inspector, jump to the title, copy and close it again
  • use applescript to read the selected tasks and copy it

I want to copy multiple items at once. The best solution I’ve found so far is to use a text editor w/ regex search and replace to clean them up.

There is a hidden pref to turn TaskPaper format copying on/off. See the release notes for the URL to make the change.

Cheers,

ScottyJ

Thanks! That’s fairly annoying, but better than nothing, I guess.

Doh! Even with that setting off, it still copies with hyphens for each item. E.g.:

- thing one
- thing two

I don’t recall that behavior in the old plain text version of copy.

1 Like

I, too, would like to have an option to be able to return to the pre-TaskPaper form of copying, especially when copying multiple items. That includes not adding a "- " to the beginning of each line. I have a workflow that’s based on the old behaviour that now no longer works.

I also noticed a different change in the copying behavior. It used to be that copying honored the collapsed / non-collapsed state of the window and only copied what was visible. The current behavior has it copying the project names and all the hidden tasks and notes, as well. I really need to be able to copy just the project names.

I’ve written to OmniSupport about this already.