Deferred items and forecast

Hi @tcison, welcome to our forums! We do try to monitor the forums and respond when we have the bandwidth, but answering phones, and responding to emails and tweets are a higher priority for us, so when volumes get high the forums can go somewhat neglected at times. The forum is really intended to be a community where users of our products can pick each other’s brains and share workflows, etc. Things like bug reports and feature requests, that are really intended for Omni eyes and ears, are always best sent in via email to make sure they are captured.

That said, Forecast currently only shows items on their due date, and (optionally) on their defer date; there’s no way to make items appear in Forecast on other dates besides the due and defer dates.

Currently, when the option to show deferred items in Forecast is enabled, items with a defer date assigned are displayed, under the heading Deferred, on the defer date only. If an item has both a defer date and a due date assigned, the item reappears in Forecast, under the Due heading, on the due date.

Forecast doesn’t pay any attention to whether an item is flagged or not. It displays the flag, of course, if one is present, but it has no effect on whether or not an item is included in Forecast.

The guiding idea behind Forecast is that it shows you everything that you’ve given a due date to (even if those items are on-hold, blocked, or otherwise unavailable) so you don’t miss anything. OmniFocus assumes that if something is due, it’s actually due, so we don’t want you to forget about it.

It sounds like you may benefit from using a custom perspective. You could filter for due or flagged items, and sort them by due so that due items appear at the top, followed by available items that you’ve flagged.

Thank you Anne, and not just for the reply, but also for the prompt reply time. It is good to know that OmniGroup is watching and can/will respond if the workload allows for it. I also appreciate the guidance for the intended use of the site. I was concerned, being a new OmniFocus user, that an issue which was originally added to the forum over 18 months ago and was something I was experiencing myself wasn’t being addressed by the company.

Ok, with that said:

• The software is working as designed, check.
  • If I want my deferred items to continue to show in the existing forecast perspective, I’ll either have to extend the defer date, or set a due date, check.

You mentioned that I might benefit from a custom perspective. That is only available with the Pro version, right? If I upgraded to Pro, could I build a perspective that looks like the existing forecast perspective except it shows more stuff per my customizations?

Thank you again, Regards,
Tc

1 Like

Watching this thread with a lot of interest as my requirement is to have something like the TODAY view but with project folders shown so that I have full context into the tasks that are due today.

I do have the PRO version so I’ve experimented with custom perspectives but these don’t seem to allow for filtering on due date. Although by sorting by due date I can get those projects which have things due at the top it is a very unsatisfactory result as it intermixes all other tasks in the project and from a “focus” perspective having all the other projects that have nothing due today at the end is a nuance too.

I feel this is a VERY important missed feature for what I feel is a very well designed program overall!

Bumping this 2 year old thread. I’m still missing this feature too, to accumulate past deferred actions in Forecast View.

Don’t forget to email support@omnigroup.com and vote.

3 Likes

@flight16 I’m starting to lose hope that OmniFocus will ever change their position on deferred tasks in Forecast or a separate Today view. It’s been over 2 years since that original post! I have submitted requests myself.

Ultimately, until OF shows me otherwise, they will never change because of their stubborn adherence to GTD philosophy. It’s too bad because the app is so close to being flexible and welcoming for all users, regardless of their familiarity to GTD. I really want to see this product improve, but I’m sorry, having to use scripts and hacking subpar perspectives are signs of poor product design.

1 Like

If you have the pro upgrade, you can create a custom perspective that shows your tasks either grouped or sorted by defer date. i think this should achieve your desired results.

I only look at forecast when I plan my workload for the rest of the day. I don’t think I’ve ever used the forecast perspective for anything more than that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know of that workaround and it’s what I’m doing now, but I still find it clunky. And it’s yet another perspective for something that seems like it would go great in forecast mode (upcoming due, upcoming deferred, past due, but no past deferred…).

1 Like

This also keeps me from coming back to OmniFocus — it is just a complete break with my mental model of how the app works.

Having there be no way to view all items with a Defer Date set to today or past days without either having that item flagged or including all Available items is a real deficit.

I totally agree. Having past deferred dates stay in the Forecast view instead of disappearing is essential to me. I got pis… off today because I missed something that had disappeared. This never happened in Things. And no, I don’t want to construct another damn perspective that I will need to manage.

Please email OmniFocus Support at omnifocus@omnigroup.com to put in a feature request for your desired feature. The higher the vote count, the louder the voice, and that increases the chances of your desired feature request to be considered.

This just saved my life…and dug up a large number of task that I had completely forgotten about.

It going to be a lot of work processing the ‘forgotten’ tasks, but it’s worth it. Is there a way to run it via cron or something? There are times that several days go by where I don’t touch my personal computer because I’m busy with other tasks. I always have my phone with me and it has the omnifocus app, though.

My Mac Mini server could run this daily on a schedule to keep me up to date.

Quote from the Support Mail I received from OF this week:

“We do have an open request on file to allow continuing showing all deferred items that have passed their defer date and are now available in the Forecast perspective, and I’ve added your email to that file. Sorry to disappoint for now, but we’ll keep your interest in this in mind as we plan for future releases. I can definitely see how useful it could be for certain workflows, so here’s hoping we can make this option happen at some point!”

The E-Mail I sent:
"Dear Omnifocus Support,

I don’t understand why you don’t implement the function to show passed
deferred tasks in the forecast view. I don’t want to run a script
every day, neither I want to use a special perspective only for this
reason (I built one perspective like this and I don’t like it.)
Could you add my wish to your wish list? I hope it gets realized one
day!"

An update on this: I am using the perspective for deferred items jn the past, but it feels so burdensome!! Does anybody have a better technique? Its sad, that OF is not implementing the function to show already deferred items in the forecast view. At least I don’t get the logic behind it, why it is not being showed!!