Do I need another Task Manager?

I think someone mentioned having created weekly, monthly, quarterly contexts for repeating items. I think that is the wrong approach, as monthly is not a context in the GTD sense. What I found works for such things, as suggested by either David Sparks or Kouresh Dini, is that I created a Maintenence top-level folder and within them you can create Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly/Yearly subfolders into which you put the repeating tasks. Those task get the appropriate context (@computer or @online-ChaseBank or @home). You can create a perspective that has a focus on the appropriate folder.

For example, I have a Monthly Bills-Available perspective. I focus on “Maintenance : Recurring Bills: Monthly Bills” and “Maintenance : Recurring Bills: Tuition payments”. The Filter by Availability is “Available”. I have bills, like a credit card bill, that have a Defer date to when the statement becomes available and due when I have to fund the bill from online banking. These all recur every month. It takes a little time to set up for all recurring bills, but when it’s done for Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly/Yearly stuff, it’s one press on the appropriate perspective and I can be confident that things are really there that I need to look at. When you have to pay both your bills and your parents’ bills, this sort of thing is invaluable to prevent bad things from happening.

Cheers, David

I used T3 over the holidays when I was off of work. It’s much lighter and more of a joy to use. Nothing long term went into it.

Back at work and back into OF.

That today perspective with the calendar that rolls items forward is the best feature in any task manager. No question. The forecast perspective in OF is a waste of space.

But for the gestalt of everything that needs to happen, OF is just so much more solid.

2 Likes

I think the only way this can work is if you really manage to keep the two apps completely separate with zero overlap. For example, you can use one app for work and one app for personal items, and you open the right app at the right time, depending on what context you find yourself into.

I agree with you that there is some friction in OF2 when it comes to quickly entering tasks in the right place (of course it super quick to add an item to the inbox, but I don’t think that was op’s goal), so I have been tempted to switch to a two app approach myself, but for now I am still trying to use two separate perspectives and use the Focus feature extensively. I am not completely satisfied by this approach but I fear that a second app will add so much more complexity that I will end up just abandoning one of the two after a while.

1 Like

I moved most of my tasks to the new Apple Reminder except for the recurring ones that repeat after completion.

It’s working great as most of my tasks are simple and not complex projects.

Highlights of Reminders are the URL field ( almost every task I have involves a URL ) and setting a due date without a time. It’s great because I usually don’t care what time I do something, just that I get it done before the end of the day.

You could say I use Trello as well. For software that I write it makes sense to have Kanban board with backlog, current sprint, done, etc. That wouldn’t be practical to put into Omnifocus.