Dock icon badge is always red

As soon as my OmniFocus dock icon shows the badge with the number of items that are due soon or overdue, this badge is red. Even when there are no overdue items (but only items that are due soon). If I remember correctly, in OmniFocus 1 the badge would be orange in this case. Red badges always unsettle me slightly, I’d prefer to have an orange badge (when there are only ‘soon due’ items)!

2 Likes

The badge is the standard OS X badge which is why it’s red. It’s the same badge that appears on the Mail icon, Calendar icon, etc. when there are items that require attention. Besides, the red badge follows the Apple Human Interface Guidelines, something that the badge in OF 1 failed to do:

Use badging to give users noncritical status information in an unobtrusive way. A badge is a small red oval that appears over the upper-right corner of an app’s Dock icon. For example, Calendar displays the number of new events in a badge; when there are no new events, the badge disappears (it doesn’t display 0).

2 Likes

Aha, that explains!

1 Like

I suppose I understand the need for conformity with Apple’s guidelines but frankly the orange/red badge option under OF1 was a better implementation.

1 Like