Empty context titles appearing in perspectives - and how to hide them

Where is the hidden preference to hide empty context?

@rogbar, please see this thread.

1 Like

Oh, thank heavens thereā€™s a hidden pref for this. Glad I searched, a little piece of me was dying every day since r209302. I kept scouring the view options figuring I must have screwed something up.

Hidden preference = non-ideal
Hidden preference = WAY better than nothing.

Love you, Omni. ;-)

I have a perspective with these settings. The resulting perspective looks like this.

I find it annoying that I have to see these huge contexts that have nothing in them. (Eg. Errands, Home : Phone, Home : Mac). If I set Filter Contexts to ā€œActiveā€, it removes, in this case, Home : Phone and Home : Mac, but Errands remains. Ideally, Iā€™d only see Errands : Columbia, and Errands would be hidden as well.

Please see Kenā€™s post in the existing thread on this topic.

Excellent. Thanks, Kyle. Didnā€™t find that thread when I searched.

Iā€™ll re-title this thread to try and make it easier to find. Thanks for searching in the first place!

By the way, if the hidden preference in @kcaseā€™s post is helpful to you, please ā€˜likeā€™ the post. Thatā€™s one of the ways that Discourse figures out which posts are the most important/useful ones; it tries to make those posts easier for other visitors to find. So, by liking the post, youā€™re helping everyone else that has this problem in the future. Thanks!

2 Likes

I find there are somethings strange in the hidden preference.

First, this Hidden means ā€œThis Context is TOTAL Empty and had nothing in itā€ not ā€œThis Context is Empty in this Perspectiveā€ Maybe the latter is much more useful and graceful.

Second, if I choose a context in SideBar Selection and that context is empty, when I click the Perspective, the context is not there and the sidebar will have no focus on the context. Could it be better show the context if the context is empty when the context is selected at ā€œSidebar Selectionā€?

Iā€™m really glad to have stumbled onto this thread, since Iā€™d been driving myself crazy fiddling with the Perspectives settings on my ā€œAvailableā€ perspective, which has always reliably shown me only those tasks that are available now, filtered by Context and grouped by Project. Itā€™s awful to view a bunch of empty contexts.

The problem of empty contexts does not exist for this perspective on my iOS versions for iPad and iPhone. So I am leery of applying the temporary fix mentioned above, lest there arise problems with this perspective on my other devices.

Can OmniFocus not fix this issue in the next release? The problem of empty contexts doesnā€™t arise in the Flagged perspective in OF2, which is essentially the same perspective but including only those available tasks in context view that are flagged.

I was just setting up some new perspectives, and had the old behavior as described in this thread. I vaguely remember this and must have implemented the hidden setting long ago, and it all resurfaced in my system and/or install for some reason.

In any case, the hidden setting worked!

My question is - is this still the proper way to hide the empty contexts / context groups?

4 Likes