Feature Request: Add Notes to Tags

Feature Request: I would love to be able to add notes to tags, using the Inspector. While notes could be used to add specifications for the tag (to avoid overuse, etc., which can make a tag worthless), it could also be used to make tagging more powerful by allowing easy linking to Projects, Files, DEVONthink, etc.

3 Likes

The Omni people don’t read here. You should write a mail to them.

These forums are for customers using our apps to talk with each other. If you’re trying to reach our tech support team, please email support@omnigroup.com: we reply to most questions within one business day.

Welcome to our forums!

Working backwards, is it feasible to have a URL that displays all tasks with a given tag?

If so, you could put this URL in eg a Drafts draft. This draft would contain the notes. And as it’s Markdown the notes could be far richer than they would be in OmniFocus.

(It doesn’t have to be Drafts, of course.)

Thanks, pete31. I’m a newbie to this forum! I figured I’d get some ideas here and then email support if need be.

Interesting idea, MartinPacker. Your sugggestion gives me an idea for a workaround for my request. I could have a task for each tag that includes links to the desired notes. This could be titled in ALL CAPS to make it quickly visible. For example:
————
NOTES FOR “VAGUE” TAG

This tag is for tasks that are vague and need more development or that need to be moved out of OmniFocus into reference storage here: [link to archived list of vague ideas in DEVONthink, Drafts, etc.]
————
These could be stored in a dummy project called Tag Notes.

1 Like

Please do so and post a reference so others can join your request via mail.

It’s quite funny I forgot to mention that I’d like to see this feature too - and now reading this thread again with Script Debugger open I simply tried something … While it’s not possible to access a tag’s note via UI it is possible to set and get it via AppleScript.

So we could use one script to set a note to e.g. a DEVONthink link and another one that tries to open the note’s content.

(I recently started to use OmniFocus again after some years and don’t know the dictionary yet so these scripts might not be the right way to do it)

-- Set tag's note to URL

tell application "OmniFocus"
	try
		set theSelection to selected trees of content of item 1 of document windows of default document
		if theSelection ≠ {} then
			set thisTag to value of item 1 of theSelection
		else
			set theSelection to selected trees of sidebar of item 1 of document windows of default document
			else
				error "No selection"
			end if
		end if

set theNote to note of thisTag
		set note of thisTag to (text returned of (display dialog "Insert URL:" default answer theNote))
		-- or 
		#set note of thisItem to (the clipboard) as string

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "OmniFocus" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

-- Open URL from tag's note

tell application "OmniFocus"
	try
		set theSelection to selected trees of content of item 1 of document windows of default document
		else
			set theSelection to selected trees of sidebar of item 1 of document windows of default document
			else
				error "No selection"
			end if
		end if

set theNote to note of thisTag
		if theNote ≠ "" then
			try
				do shell script "open " & quoted form of theNote
			end try
		else
			error "Empty note"
		end if

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "OmniFocus" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

1 Like

Good discovery !

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this option!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.