Feature Request: Projects in sidebar while showing Inbox

I would like to have the option to show the Projects in the sidebar when in Inbox (right now it only shows the icon sidebar). Reason: it helps me remember which projects I have, and where a particular Action being entered might belong.

4 Likes

My workaround for this is to ignore the built-in inbox feature and instead create a single-action project called “Inbox” that I keep at the top of my projects list. Then I use my “Inbox” to quickly record ideas the way I would have used the built-in inbox.

1 Like

That worked for me, too.

I recently installed OF 4, and I would swear that this feature request (9.5 y old!) had eventually been implemented in OF 3. But now when I have an Inbox window open, I can show/hide the Perspectives Bar, but I can’t show/hide the Sidebar. Maybe my memory is wrong, but this now feels broken to me.

1. I understand that the Inbox is not a project, but you can still tick the option to show it as one in the Projects perspective. It’s inconsistent to show it in the projects list, but not let me see the projects list in that window!
  2. It creates a “2nd class citizen” type of window, and aside from it being titled “Inbox,” there’s no indication of this ontology except that an expected function doesn’t work.

On OmniFocus 4 go to Project perspective. Tap on View Options (the eye symbol). Turn on option Show Inbox.

Then, in Project perspective you can view the Inbox with its content on the right and scroll through the project outline on the left. Isn‘t that what you asked for?

1 Like

Well, no. What you’re describing is simply what I already stated in Item #1 of my preceding post.

But you’ve made me look closer at what my actual workflow issue is. At present I have a global keyboard shortcut that opens a new OF window and immediately navigates to the Inbox. I use this all the time. But the navigation is to the Inbox perspective, which as noted does not now allow sidebar view. I don’t see a way to automate navigation to the Projects perspective and then select Inbox. (Well, short of having Keyboard Maestro click on the image, which is kinda slow and janky.)

Yeah, I’m starting to realize that what I want is pretty esoteric.