Feature Request: Visual Map of Projects

I’d love to have a view that displays my projects as a mind-map or some kind of visual outline that could give me an easy to see over view of all of my projects. To be able to work either the standard list view, or in a mind-map view, with all the functionality, would make this program really exceptional.

2 Likes

This is great, but…feature (and support) requests are only considered by @SupportHumans if submitted via email — the more people to write, the more importance it gets.

You can find all you need inside the app:

• HelpContact Omni on macOS
  • SettingsContact Omni on iOS
1 Like

So really you need a way of exporting in some format like OPML (or suitably-formatted CSV).

I don’t have such a way/script but maybe someone does.

As much as I like your idea of a visualized perspective, I don’t think they will add such function in the short term. I mean they already have the OmniPlan, which is the visualized tool for project management you ask for. I think instead of mind-maps, they could add some kind of simplified Gantt Chart perspective to show all active projects and all progress.

Great tip! Often people write their ideas in the forum, but forget to write the support! More people should write to them first and afterwards (!) just should copy paste their email here in the forum with the answer of OF. Afterwards somebody who like that idea also could just copy the forum link and send an email to OF and say: “Dear OF, I want the feature described on this page:.X” In this way we could make our voices heard more.

I love this idea! Could you also post what the OF support said regarding this?

Well there’s this, which can create OPML but (as the author) I’d recommend against using it at this point since it reads from the internal database file which is likely to change when OF3 comes out. It may be useful for inspiration…

Thank you. I’ll take your advice on this. :-)

I can’t remember the state of Omnifocus Automation so can’t tell if it’s feasible to read the database properly. If so OPML isn’t hard to confect (as you know).

Omni are doing fancy javascript automation tooling but have started with a focus on OmniGraffle. I’m hoping that when OF get’s it’s turn it’ll permit this sort of fun and be cross platform (unlike my solution above).

1 Like