For those still on OmniFocus 1, what's holding you back from upgrading to OmniFocus 2?

As for the second issue, I think it has to do with the lack of support for context menus when I click on the panes or contents. You have to click on something to get a menu, and even then it is limited. So, I cannot create a new Folder in either pane at all using a context menu, and I cannot create anything at all by just context clicking on the empty background. Is the application not smart enough to know where I want to create a new Folder in the main pane when my current focus in the Library pane has been set at a specific folder?

Otherwise, while I could go on, I have said more than my fair share as it is.

Thanks for the space to vent.

I have to return to this after a recent hassle. What you say does not work correctly and does not work as I remember in OF 1. I tried this with Projects as the Perspective.

• Changed the In Projects Show filter to Remaining as a starting point. The only way I can get the Save button to activate is to change what I filter. Nothing about the collapsed state of the Folders or Projects toggles the save button. That could have been my first clue that saving a Perspective pays no attention to the collapse/expand states of Folders or Projects.
  • Saved the Perspective
  • Changed the In Projects filter to All (which is what I want)
  • Collapsed all Folders
  • Collapsed all Projects
  • Reopened the View pane (why the heck does it close here??)
  • SAVED the Perspective Projects

–> What the ****!!! The topmost Project expands as if possessed by a devil. So does some other Project further down. Despite every effort I can muster, I cannot get the Projects perspective to save in a state where every Folder remains collapsed and every Project remains so as well. I get some ghost opening the Projects for me even when I try to save them as fixed collapsed with the Perspective. Then, later, the Folders are in a disarrayed state again for some unknown reason.

So, in summary, I assert that, in OF 2, we cannot save a Perspective view to have the specific layout that we want it to have with any where near the reliability, ease, and consistency that we could in OF 1. If anything, the method to save a Perspective view in OF2 is more inconsistent, more bug-ridden, and more unnerving to apply than in OF 1.

Sorry! Apparently I spend all my time in custom perspectives, since I’d forgotten that built-in perspectives save their expansion state differently: they save their state automatically whenever you switch perspectives or change view filters.

Except, of course, that that isn’t working properly under the conditions present in your bug report. I was able to reproduce your bug in Projects when I first tried it with a fresh install, but I’m no longer able to reproduce it after following these steps:

• Go to Projects, and collapse all folders and projects.
  • Switch to Contexts.
  • Switch back to Projects. Your expansion state should have been preserved; everything should still be collapsed.

Once I’ve done that, I can do your other steps without encountering the bug:

• Open the View pane, and switch the filter. Your current expansion should be preserved.
  • Expand some few folders or projects, then try switching view filters again. Again, your current expansion should be preserved.

Sorry for the frustration caused by this bug, and sorry we didn’t catch it sooner in our own testing! Now that we know how to reproduce the problem (in a fresh install, after changing expansion switch view states before switching perspectives), it should be easy to track down and fix.

I hope the one-time workaround above will make OmniFocus 2 a much less frustrating experience for you! (Once you’ve done this for a built-in perspective, you shouldn’t ever have to do it again unless you do a fresh install of the app without preserving any of the app’s preferences.)

Fix the bug when focusing in a context based perspective.

OK. Glad to hear this is a bug and not the SOP. I followed your suggestion. Let’s see.

As a closing note …

Please make the View panel as one of two options. Either embed it in the right pane as a tab or have it as a tear-off floating pane. The approach now is, the panel disappears every time it looses focus. I vehemently curse the developers at OmniGroup every time I try to do a an overall review of a Folder in my Library because of this, and I do such reviews quite often. In OF 1, I never had this problem. Any options (such as those with keystrokes) that propose to expand on the functionality of the View panel but still keep it with a “here now, gone in an instant, float in your face to block what is behind it” mode are DOA for the efficiency of my workflow (and remain a step backward in the ongoing development relative to OF 1).

Thank you.

1 Like

These features:

3 Likes

I don’t know (yet), but there’s also nothing in the release notes that I miss in v1. Why should I disrupt my workflow only to end up with the same set of functionality? Which is to say, my biggest issue with OF 2 is that if it really makes me any more productive, this is not being marketed very well :)

2 Likes

The biggest gripe about OF1 when you read the old forums was the user interface. Now it’s been updated and feels the same on all three platforms. It took some adjusting but I’m flowing now with OF2. Besides this is just the start. The first thing omni worked on was the UI. Next, they are working on adding features that have been discussed for a long time.

For obvious reasons, we who cling to OmniFocus 1 will have a strong self-selection bias to be happy with the old user interface. I do actually have a batch of iOS devices, but the use cases for my laptop and my phone are so different that I probably wouldn’t benefit from the consistency across devices. And in the places where I have noticed that OF 2 for iPhone and OF 1 for Mac are out of sync already, I tend to prefer the Mac version, so that’s more of an anti-incentive (new names for start & end dates, invisible notes).

1 Like

Oh yes, invisible notes! Though not a stopper for me, the ever-present “add note” icon and annoying “no defer date -> no due date” shown whenever I hover over an item are definitely distractors that are not very helpful in considering to switch to OF2.

1 Like

Now, the biggest gripes are that OF2 has been crippled when compared to some features that OF1 had.

The win something - loose something game that was played with the OF2 release is most frustrating. For some, the gains made also do not make up for severity of the losses. Add to all of this background the “we hear you” broken record replies that then seemingly go no where, and the entire recipe can be less than encouraging.

1 Like

Hi Ken!

I’m not sure if you’re still monitoring this topic for feedback, but I think the main thing holding me back from upgrading to OF2 for Mac is the bugs around adding new actions to context-based perspectives. I make a lot of use of a context-based Today perspective and would miss not being able to add new actions from that view. (the original support case where I included some more details was OG #1131364)

I’ve been keeping an eye on the release notes for the point updates to OF2 and haven’t spotted anything that looks like any fixes in this area yet.

I’ve recently started using the new iPad version of OF and am really liking the new design and features on there so would be keen to try OF2 for Mac again soon.

Thanks!

-Michael

1 Like

I just hit the keystroke shortcut to invoke the quick entry screen and add an entry into there. If I wanted to show it in my Today perspective, I’ll flag it to get it to show in Today.

Just to make sure, my Today perspective show due or flagged tasks.

I’m not sure if this topic really applies to me because 1) I am currently trying to transition to OF2 and 2) I have bought it. Nonetheless, I’d like to express a few of the things that may keep me from fully embracing OF2. I doubt that I am the first to mention any of these, since I have seen them discussed at great length since the first reveal of OF2’s new paradigm. Still, onward I go.

First, the lack of visual clarity in the interface

• In the outline pane with folders enabled (and even without), the hierarchy is not cued well visually. The folder icon is too far to the right (seems like it should line up over the arrows for the projects, not halfway between the arrow and the project icon). The title text of all items (except when there are action groups) is lined up at the same margin and all items are the same vertical distance apart. Furthermore, the order is changed from the sidebar order so that projects directly subordinate to a folder are listed at the top in the outline pane, regardless of the order in the sidebar. Furthermore, subfolders are not indented.
  • Project type and status are difficult to discern. The visual cues are much more subtle. While the project type icons are different, they are now all composed of blue dots. On a small screen, to a user with middle-aged eyes, this is hard to distinguish at a glance. Furthermore, project “on hold” status is now indicated by replacing the project type. A blue pause icon does not look all that different from the blue project dots of an active project icon. The difference between black and grey text, no doubt intended to help, is subtle and hard to discern to my eyes. Pending projects have no icon change. Furthermore, project status is indeterminable in the outline pane. The user has to have the inspector open to know.
  • Other bothersome-to-me interface problems are lack of columns, subtle difference between note and no-note, discontinuation of the use of color as a visual cue in almost all cases where it had been used to good effect previously.

Second, the confusing distinction between perspectives that use project hierarchy and perspectives that use context hierarchy and group by project. There is very little to distinguish between the two. Yet I get beeped at in the latter at when I hit return to enter a new task.

Third (and partly as a consequence of the above), I really miss the ability to open a task in project mode in a new window. Of course I can view in project mode, but then I have to remember what I was doing before in order to return to it and when I do so, I have potentially lost my place.

These are some of the things that occur to me now. I have come to terms with some of the other interface changes, including what various keystrokes do and the segregation of inbox view from projects view. I love the tabbed interface.

3 Likes

hey @kcase, read here what’s stopping people from switching AND what makes people going back:

Sure - glad to see you’ve asked.

1. Ability to resize, change the order, hide/show columns, and use fixed width fields with column headers instead of space wasting repeated text for easy scanning. This was the final straw that made me revert.
  2. A fully functional compact layout (I understand this is here, but haven’t bothered to try it because of the other issues - including #3).
  3. Separate flag and checkbox (both on the left) - the mouse targets are too close together.
  4. Drag/drop from inbox to projects without opening separate windows (this one I could live with, but since you asked)
  5. Font/color customization (again, I could live with this if the defaults were more reasonable, and if #1 and #3 were fixed).
  6. Higher information density
  7. Manually triggered backups. This is now critical given the sync corruption problems I’m seeing (where one device blows away all the changes we make on another one).
  8. Ability to customize the backup location and naming

From my July 29th post - more details on #1:

Columns can’t be resized - that makes it impossible (for example) to
see the full context hierarchy like you could in OF1. Without column
headers, the repeated ‘defer until’ text also makes it very difficult to
scan quickly down the list - the dates and text run together. I can’t
tell you how many times I tried to click and resize the columns during
my failed attempt to migrate to OF2. I’d note that resizable columns
solves the font changing issues too.

From July 14th:

We’re not the only ones that don’t like hard to read/manipulate controls with low-density layouts.

1 Like

Perhaps the OmniFolks can make a standard layout for users who like the current layout and a custom layout for users who want to have adjustable columns and want to change the layout?

1 Like

Could you tell more on this? I believe I experienced the same, but not frequent enough to understand circumstances leading to. Would be willing to report a vote to support@ once I have more details.

@yurkennis, @mallard - I have a sync issue that always plays out like this, a few times a year:

• Accumulate lots of inbox items
  • Process them on my Mac, i.e. sorting them into projects, renaming them, giving them due dates
  • Forget to sync, or reception is bad, or whatever…
  • Add more inbox items on my phone
  • Now sync both devices

Bam! Suddenly my previously processed inbox items have all jumped back into the inbox, lost their due dates and contexts etc. - HOWEVER, changes that I made to existing tasks do not revert. Very very frustrating.

If this is the bug you two are seeing, then I have written to Omni about it in 2010, and they said it can’t be fixed. (I might not have explained the issue very well, though.) Please don’t let me be the only one struggling with this bug :(

1 Like

A fully customizable layout serves everyone - we’re not taking issue with default, but changeable settings - we’re taking issue that they are the ONLY settings.