For those still on OmniFocus 1, what's holding you back from upgrading to OmniFocus 2?

Firstly thanks for the Q, secondly for the great products: OF1 Mac& iPhone. However:

The lack of iPhone 6 Plus optimized interface is a dealbreaker for me, and im sure a great many iphone 6 plus users.

I’m just not confident enough it even will be optimised in the forseeable future (at least well enough to justify a $25 “upgrade”)

That’s why ill probably be refunding OF2 before the 30 days are up (another sincere thank you to OG and do hope it’ll be properly optimised in future).

Geniunely baffles me how OF1 can support landscape and OF2 can’t. (The blown up 4s version beats the big white portrait of OF2).

Probably some “classic (OF1) view” would be nice, if possible, for those who’re partial to the old way.

TL/DR: iPhone 6 plus optimised interface or not worth $25 “upgrade” from OF1. (Ie landscape, greater content density)…

after posting above found:

Which states ipad version/s coming to iPhone. Q1 '15

Baring in mind i only use iphone 6 plus, no ipad, does this really mean ill have to pay another $20, ie a total of $40, just for a iphone 6 optimised Omnifocus?

If you get the iPad version, it will become a Universal app and you can use it on both iPhone and iPad. You’ll be able to use the Pro features on the iPhone.

If you get the iPhone version, it will get updated but will not have any pro features.

Many developers are still in the transition phase and slowly updating their apps to be optimised for the iPhone 6 Plus. It will take time.

What I’m just wondering is what the Pro features will consist of (e.g. if they mean pro like the difference between std and pro on mac), or if they’re going to consider 6 plus optimisation a “pro feature” along with stuff like custom perspectives, which since I’m not a power user doesn’t concern me.

I’ll prob just email and ask.

By the way is OF1 still supported at all, will it eventually just give out in a future iOS update never to work again?

When you visit the product page for OmniFocus, you can see the “Compare Features” list. The iPad pro features include custom perspective creation and editing as well as having project perspectives.

Version 1 is no longer for sale in the iTunes App Store. Available only in the Purchased tab in your account. Don’t expect future updates.

The cost. Plus I’m quite happy with OF1.

It would cost me over 80$ to upgrade all versions (Mac, iPad & iPhone). And that’s with the educational discount, and the free Pro on iPad. I still think it’s a bit extreme to charge 34.99$ to upgrade an iPad version originally paid 19.99$. Certainly doesn’t feel like a “discount” to me…

I’m considering upgrading the mac version only. Maybe…

FWIW and/or IMHO …

• The desktop version 2.1 still works with the iOSX 1.x versions. The biggest issue I notice is that syncing with the iOSX 1.x apps can stutter on occasion.
  • You will loose and you will gain features in the transition from 1.x to 2.x on the desktop. The list that Wilson Ng quotes is the set of features for the 2.x versions on different platforms. The corresponding list of features that did/did not get carried over during the update 1.x to 2.x can be difficult (if not impossible) to find or appreciate. Basically, you have to do that research yourself.
  • You will see significant UI changes going from 1.x to 2x on the desktop and iOSX versions (see the further notes below). Some of these changes may be astoundingly pleasing and essential to you. By comparison, some may just be horribly distracting.
  • When your main work-horse platform is on the desktop, when you use the iOSX platforms just to do routine “check behinds” on your progress, and when you are especially dependent on the visual clarity from color and/or custom layouts on the home screens, I still cannot recommend to upgrade to the iOSX 2 versions over the iOSX 1 versions.

I remain periodically annoyed by some difficulties to use the desktop 2.x app in my workflow compared to what I remember with the 1.x app. Compared to 1.x, features really are missing. I consider the background visual distractions are occasionally higher (i.e. the focus on content is washed out in making flashy colors or icon cues). I still have declined to upgrade OF on my iOSX platforms to the 2.x apps. Based on what I see and how I use OF, I still anticipate a loss in visual clarity and/or customization to use the new iOSX apps, and the additional features they bring with them add nothing essential for me in return. So the RoI is too low (as you noted regarding the cost). YMMV.

You can download the trial version of OF 2.1x for the desktop and do a test run before committing to it entirely.

JJW

2 Likes

The list price of OmniFocus 1 for iPad was $39.99. The list price of OmniFocus 2 for iPad is currently $29.99, and buying it grants customers coming from v1 a free upgrade to Pro—a $19.99 value. This means that customers who upgrade from v1 pay $10 less than for v1, but they get an app which is worth $10 more than v1 (with full support for building custom perspectives on the device). In other words, our upgrade discounts preserve half ($20) of your original $39.99 investment.

(It’s probably worth noting that if you upgrade the iPad app now you’ll also get a free upgrade to the universal iPhone+iPad app when it ships—an upgrade which will cost $10 more if you wait to buy it later.)

[quote=“kcase, post:48, topic:9187”]
The list price of OmniFocus 1 for iPad was $39.99. The list price of OmniFocus 2 for iPad is currently $29.99[/quote]
Sadly, I’m guessing @gdamours is probably up here in Canada, or one of the other countries that got hit by Apple’s recent App Store price increase. OmniFocus 2 for iPad actually is $34.99 in the Canadian App Store now, as of around the first week in January. It went from $29.99 to $34.99 basically overnight.

Pretty much everything in the Canadian App Store jumped by about 20% to account for the ongoing exchange rate differences. While it felt like a big jump, we were arguably getting something of a discount before, as compared to the value of the U.S. dollar. While it would be nice if Omni’s stuff was still priced at the old numbers, I guess it’s not fair to expect you to be losing money from your Canadian customers as compared to your U.S. ones :)

That said, some companies have either adjusted their prices downward, or in the case of subscriptions, still offer direct prices that are now effectively lower than the App Store IAPs. Microsoft Office 365, for example, can be purchased directly from Microsoft for $10/month or $100/year CAD, but through iTunes it’s $12 or $120 CAD, respectively.

Thanks for that reminder! Yes, I was quoting USD figures: in the App Store, we set a price tier and Apple controls what that tier sells for in each region. So OmniFocus for iPad currently sells at Tier 30 ($29.99 USD, $34.99 CAD) and will soon be moving to Tier 40 ($39.99 USD, $45.99 CAD) when it becomes a universal app.

(When you buy an app directly from Omni’s online store, our prices there are always in USD. But we can’t sell iOS apps directly; they can only be sold through the App Store.)

1 Like

That’s fair enough, and now that I think about it, the only companies that adjusted downward were those that were providing Canadian apps or subscriptions only, so I guess they just moved down to a lower tier to keep the price equivalent, which of course wouldn’t have effected what they were charging in other countries.

That said, the pricing is still more than fair, and I’m assuming the $10 rebates for those of us who already own both of the iOS apps will be issued in USD as well, so it all balances out in the end, and in fact may be a bit of a bonus for those of us up here :)

(Oh, and just to clarify how fair this pricing still is… Based on today’s exchange rate, $34.99 is still cheaper than it would be to pay in USD and suffer the exchange rate… $29.99 USD is currently closer to $38 CAD).

On a semi-related note, could there be an option to get the $10 rebate as a discount code against purchasing other Omni products instead of some other rebate system? That would probably be an easier option – especially in light of international currency fluctuations – for those of us who may not have yet gotten around to upgrading one of your other apps (I just realized I’m still only licensed for OmniGraffle 5 ;) ).

So did they address any of these issues in 2.1? It’s hard to tell from the release notes

1. Are columns resizable?
  2. Did they separate the flag and checkbox (and put the checkbox on the left)?
  3. Is the ‘compact’ layout now available without a hack?
  4. is the sync corruption issue fixed?
  5. Drag/drop from inbox to projects?
  6. Font/color customization from preferences without a hack?
  7. Manually triggered backups?
  8. Ability to control backup location and naming?

I’m more than willing to pay for an upgrade, but only if it’s an upgrade. I’m not interested in paying for a downgrade.

1 Like
  1. Nope

2. Nope

3. Nope

4. Nope

5. Nope

6. Nope

7. Nope

8. Nope

9. Fill in your favorite missing feature from OF 1: Nope

2.1 seems to be all about becoming the quintessential Yosemite app. Right down to being exclusively OS X 10.10.

Internally the company I work for has been debating OF v1 verses v2. There are several 2.x adopters telling everyone how great v2 is. There are several detractors telling everyone what’s missing, and that we should stay with v1. It’s not coincidence that the “master projects” Mac is still V1. The color coding we use makes it much easier to use in group meetings.

All that being said, we officially are returning to v1 this week company wide. Due to legacy issues, we have not, nor will we move to Yosemite in the foreseeable future. When it came down to a vote between using obsolete OF 2.0x versus obsolete OF 1.x, it was over 90% OF 1.x.

4 Likes

It’s killing me after having paid for OF2 nearly a year ago there is still no sorting of columns, no preference style, the only reason I keep OF2 around is so I can use the clipper to put messages from Apple Mail into OmniFocus. What a drag, seems crazy that there is so many things missing. The hack for compact view doesn’t really solve the problem of being able to sort column by all the things you could in OF1 simply by clicking at the top of the column.

1 Like

Chiming in now FWIW at this date, as I’ve just upgraded to OF2. Overall impression: some welcome if overdue beautifying of the UI, but also numerous reductions in usability. Bottom line: not really sure OF2 was actually an upgrade.

Specifically:
Agree with @teronel regarding:
second bullet (“Project type and status are difficult to discern”); and
third bullet (miscellaneous UI issues).

Agree with @mallard’s points #1, #2, #3, #6, #7

For those who haven’t seen this already, OmniFocus 2.3 for Mac is now in public test:

In version 2.3, you can choose which columns you’d like to see and they will be dynamically sized based on content and available space.

Yes, yes, and yes. And you can now customize your layout in individual perspectives, so one perspective can show a different set of columns than another: for example, I’ve updated my Completed perspective to show the Completion Date column (but that’s something I usually don’t care to see in other perspectives).

Push-triggered syncs have greatly reduce the frequency of conflicts in general since you’re much less likely to be editing out-of-date data on a device.

There was still one issue on iOS that could cause unexpected sync conflicts if an incoming sync happened while the iOS was in the middle of editing a task. This issue is fixed in the latest iOS update.

Not yet, but we’re working on both and expect to support both dragging from the Inbox and more flexible font/color options soon.

@mallard and I already talked about this in another thread, but for anyone else following along: it’s easy to do both of those things in Finder or with a script since the database is just a document that you can duplicate at will. See this post for more details.

5 Likes

Hi Ken,

Downloaded, installed, and, looks great. I’m going to jump in and use it full time, and suspect that v1 will be coming off my machine in a week or so.

I know many of us have harped, complained, vented, and beaten you guys up pretty good. I’ll be the first to step up and say you listened and delivered.

Thanks!

4 Likes

The new column and view customization in 2.3 is absolutely fantastic, and made me realize how much I missed that from OmniFocus 1 – at least in certain views, and that’s what actually makes the new design great is that this be set on a per-view basis. I’m totally fine with the newer “fluid” v2 layout for my daily working perspectives, and have liked those from the beginning, but for project and planning views, the more traditional layout is so nice to be back to.

Now, the only real remaining UI niggle I have from v1 is that perspectives don’t respect the sidebar/inspector view settings. If those could be saved with perspectives, that would be great, and if anything, it seems more necessary now that a wider column view is supported – v1-style wide, spreadsheet-style “planning” views are often better handled with one or both of those side panels turned off. Even better would be if the sizing of each could be saved with each perspective, but now I’m probably asking for too much :)

2 Likes

Two things immediately come to mind.

1. Better inbox integration like OF 1.

2. Themes. I know what I like with regard to colors and fonts. The options for customizable themes in OF 1 is greatly missed.