Gap between sequential project items

I have a sequential project to replace an air filter in my house. The first action is to order it and the second is to install it. Is there a way to automatically create a gap between the two? It is a recurring project so right now I could manually set defer dates but that wont work as the entire project with the two next actions is a recurring project.

I really want the second task to be deferred 2-3 days from the original next action completion.

1 Like

It is not possible without omni automation script. But maybe help if you add new task between these two “Waiting for filter delivery”

I am not opposed to an omni automation script. I have never dabbled with them before and I am very much a novice to writing code but I have some limited experience in it. Just need some guiding in the right start. Otherwise that was my thought to just place a waiting for filter delivery but would love to not have to manage that on my waiting to list. Just one more thing ya know.

Two tasks:
Order filter, @computer, defer 1/1, due 1/7
Replace filter, @home

When you order the filter, change its tag from @computer to @waiting and change your due date to something reasonable to get your attention if it hasn’t arrived.

When it arrives, complete the waiting task and your next action (replace task) becomes available.

Set the two-task project to repeat every x months.

I actually did what you suggested except setup the second task up by default to @waiting. This way it goes right to that list.

1 Like

That works too. In general, I don’t view a @Waiting task as one that is in a natural wait state (e.g., because there are prerequisite tasks before it) but rather as one that can’t be completed because I’m waiting on someone else.

Each morning, I review my @Waiting and @Agenda tags (which have sub-tags with specific people) so that I know who to bug for something and what ideas/input to talk to people about. This makes it really easy to prep for a quick meeting by looking at any tags that are dependent upon getting something from a person or talking with them about it.

In my workflow, I would prefer that once the filter is received (i.e., no longer waiting on delivery), when I check it off, the “replace filter” task is now available and with the proper context of @home so that it appears in perspectives in a way that looking for thing that need to be done at the house reflects that it’s ready to be done.

Either way works, what’s most important is that it does so in a way that fits with your thinking/strategy. Glad you found a solution that works for you – I’ve been doing this since 2006 and my process continues to evolve to this day.

I do a very similar thing reviewing my waiting every morning but I also do like the idea of hitting the Agenda tags to ensure I nag anyone I need to about a variety of things :)

What you want rondo here is beginning to move into Gannt type project planning where you can indeed set dependencies that move one dependent task when another one is retimed. Omni plan and MS Project are two examples of this. If this is only an occasional thing I’d avoid the added complexity but if you are doing a complicated project, OmniFocus really starts to hit the limit. It still requires the human in the loop to make decisions as situations change.

Here’s how air filter replacement is set up in my OF:

Three repeating tasks.

1. Every two years in May, order four filters. (This way, they don’t arrive when there’s snow.)
  2. Every year, replace filter on January 1 (New Year’s Day). (NYD is never a work day.)
  3. Every year, replace filter on July 1 (Canada Day). (Canada Day is never a work day.)

@altadel Do you place them in a project that never repeats or is completed or do you complete it annually and have it repeat? Maybe I need to think more about repeating tasks inside a project vs a repeating project I can complete

A non-repeating, parallel project (Service AC/furnace) with a monthly (rather than weekly) review frequency. Other unassociated, repeating items in the project are an annual (May 1) “Remove AC condenser cover” and an annual (October 1) “Replace AC condenser cover”.

Thanks! Appreciate the help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.