Heavy CPU use, sluggish response to keypresses

I’ve been getting a lot of this lately. It may be related to using multiple tabs. Once it starts I have to restart OmniOutliner to get back to normal where it responds quickly to my key presses.

If there’s anything I can do to debug this, let me know.

My MacBook Pro 2012 seems to be having problems across the board. Rainbow wheels every day in Xcode, Safari, others. So it may be that whatever is happening in OmniOutliner - people with newer machines just don’t notice.

Standard questions would include, at a minimu, version of MacOS in use and version of OO.

If you can, you can generate some helpful information for them using the Activity Monitor (can also see which app is eating all your resources) and generate reports (SpinDump often helpful you can send to developer). Then again, if you are using XCode, you probably know most of this already ;-)

Newest versions of everything. (OO 5.6.1, macOS 10.15.3). The activity monitor shows “Window Server” (as always, useless info) and OmniOutliner both taking lots of CPU during a burst of typing. I am used to debugging my own code in Xcode, but I don’t have much experience taking spin dumps to debug running binaries, so I’m not sure what would be useful. I’ll probably just report a bug to Omni and see if they ask me to do anything specific like that. Thanks.

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes; others here might be interested in the outcome, too.

I have 5.6.1 as well but don’t use it heavily (at the moment; other projects interfer) under MacOS 10.14.6. No weirdness from OO but had a SWoD from OG a few days ago requiring a kill and restart of app.

I’ve had this problem for quite a while (as in a few years) when I work with multicolumn outlines, even if there is only one file open. I have a MacBook Pro 2017 running Catalina 10.15.4. Currently, I’m using the Pro edition 5.6.1 (v200.5.0), but the problem existed under earlier versions, also.

I, too, am willing to play with debugging.

I’ve been in contact with Omni support over email about this. They asked me a few questions and I was waiting for it to happen again so I could test a few things and provide answers. Yesterday it started happening. One of their questions was whether it matters what row I’m typing in. To answer that I left the row I was on, in the middle of the document, and went to the end of the document to add a row, and then to the beginning of the document to add another row. The problem mostly went away. I hadn’t seen that before - usually I just quit and restart the program. Maybe it was a fluke - I’ve only done this once - but next time it happens I’m going to try that again.

Thank you for the update.

Weird. Random bytes

I had an issue with not being able to Reopen a file but I think I have it fixed now.