Help with recurring single action tasks

Hi guys, I need some help with recurring single action tasks (I think). I essentially want a project that recurs every week, and automatically empties all the contained actions when completed. I realise there is probably a simple solution for this, so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

To be a bit more specific, I’m a professional DJ, and every week I sit down and review the new tracks that I come across and I want to add to my DJ library. I want to set it up with the tracks (actions), contained in a single action project for the process of buying them and adding them to the library. Obviously, I don’t want the same actions to repeat every week, as they’re in my library when I’ve added them once. How would you guys organise a recurring project like that?

I suggest to split the problem you have:

1. save a list of tracks somewhere (more on this below)
  2. create one weekly recurring task “process list of tracks”, possibly with a link to the list above.

Where you store the list of tracks is something you have to decide. I don’t think this is an action-list perse, so you could argue it shouldn’t be in OmniFocus. If you do want it in OmniFocus I suggest creating it as a single-action-list with status ‘on hold’, so the items in the list don’t clutter your views with actionable tasks.
The only actionable task in this process is the one recurring task created under 2. above.

1 Like

Thanks Vloris, it did occur to me that OF wasn’t really suited to handle both tasks, I’ll try what you suggested.

There are quite a few checklists that I keep outside of omnifocus. I usually keep one-off tasks and big projects in omnifocus.

Routine checklists can be created in omnioutliner or in a word processor document.

I used to have this urge to keep everything in omnifocus but it feel like fitting a square peg into a round hole. It felt more natural to keep checklists outside of omnifocus.

1 Like