Here's a link to a working script that saves an Outlook email as an OmniFocus task

I had an amazingly difficult time finding a working script that would automatically save an email from Outlook as an OmniFocus task. Google kept directing me to scripts that did NOT work. But at last I was able to find a solution – it’s here at the bottom of a thread on these forums.

The page contains both a script and an Alfred workflow. I’m using the workflow. Enjoy!

I’ve been using Veritrope’s script for a while, and it works very well. Over time I’ve tweaked it to my taste and fixed a couple of things. My latest version is here: https://github.com/Hammerspoon/Spoons/blob/master/Source/SendToOmniFocus.spoon/scripts/outlook-to-omnifocus.applescript (you can find other X-to-omnifocus scripts I use in the same directory).

If you are interested: I use this script (and others) with Hammerspoon, which is an extremely powerful automation tool. I have a few getting-started articles in my blog, a good starting point is this one: http://zzamboni.org/post/getting-started-with-hammerspoon/

For some reason, I’ve found the script on Veritrope’s page does not work for me. The Alfred automation I linked to above works just fine. I’ll check out Hammerspoon. Thanks!

Veritrope’s script broke with an Outlook upgrade a few months ago - I submitted the fix but I don’t know if he’s incorporated it. I documented the problem here: http://zzamboni.org/post/fixing-outlook-to-omnifocus-script/

hey @zzamboni,

really appreciate your fixing this and updating with Notification Center details… This is back to normal for me and has returned my productivity… Thanks again!

This script (your updated version) is fantastic. Any chance you made one that works with omnifocus 3?

Zzamboni, do you have a version of your updated script (the one that includes the message and attachment) that works with Omnifocus 3?

The same script works for OF3 - I have continued using it without modification after the upgrade. Did you have any problems with it?

The original works, but I have been using your modified one that gives you the task window and attaches the message. That does not work.

Specifically, this one - that I believe included your modifications for task window / attachment handling:

I’d love a script that pops up a task quick entry window. With the script I’m using, I have to Cmd-Tab to OmniFocus, find the new task, and change the title there. It would be much simpler to have the new task pop up in a quick entry window so I can edit the title (as well as project, tags, and other metadata) immediately before saving.

And I really wish Outlook would support links to individual messages. WTF, Microsoft – this is not the behavior of the 2018 Microsoft I otherwise love; it’s the behavior of pre-2010 crap Microsoft.

does anyone have a script that works to bring outlook message to omnifocus 3? i have been using this one:

but stopped working with latest update.

I am using a version of the Veritrope script, linked to above, possibly modified – I can’t recall. Works great; I just tried it out.

I’m still using this one, but it stops working intermittently. I haven’t been able to figure out why.

I prefer it over the others out there because of the options built in.

So which one should be used with outlook 2019 for Mac to convert emails to tasks and include attachments with links?

This script was working for me until switching to the “new outlook.” Now, it’s as if the scripts cannot locate the selection. I have tried several variations based on the outlook dictionary but, none of them work. Does this still work for you in the “new outlook” @MitchWagner?

I’m having the same issue. Looking at the AppleScript dictionary, it appears as though it should work, but debugging the selection comes back nil / null, if I recall. I’ve reverted to FWD e-mails, but miss having links to the messages / etc.

I agree. Every update, I check to see if the old script works and every time if fails. :( I will post here if I work out a solution.

The “New" Outlook doesn’t support AppleScript, so please go here, and vote for this issue with Microsoft, so that they can prioritize adding it back in.

https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/924856-the-new-outlook-for-mac/suggestions/39253423-support-applescript

This is an updated version of Veritrope’s Outlook script to copy the currently selected email as a new Task in OmniFocus. Like previous comments, Outlook needs to be set to the “Standard”/“Old” view for the scrip to work.

Gist for Applescript for Outlook email to OmniFocus task