How do you actually get Applescripts to work

This is a total noob question, but I really am at a loss to figure out how to get an applescript to work in OmniOutliner. I have read through the forum posts and see nice examples of scripts, I know how to get to the scripts folder, I have dropped a script in there, but how do you actually invoke the script (or turn it into a button on the toolbar)? I have OO 4.4 and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to launch a script from within OO. I told you it was noob question.

Thanks, David

1 Like

Hi David,

If you’ve placed a script in the location:
~/Library/Application Scripts/com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner4

…then you can access it from within the app by adding it to the toolbar. Select View > Customize Toolbar… in the menubar (or right-click on the toolbar), and you should see your Applescript as an button you can add.

Alternatively, by placing your scripts in a different folder, you can use the Applescripts Menu in the menu to access it. To access your Applescripts from the menubar, you’ll need to add them to: ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniOutliner

…once added to this folder, with OmniOutliner open and in the foreground, click the Script Menu icon in the menubar. You should see your script listed in the dropdown under the heading OmniOutliner Scripts.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

How do you do this (link scripts) in OO5? Can’t find it anywhere…

In order to make scripts available to add and use from the tool bar in OmniOutliner 5, they need to be added to the following folder:

~/Library/Application Scripts/com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner5/

or if using the Mac App Store copy of the app:
~/Library/Application Scripts/com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner5.MacAppStore

You can quickly access this folder by selecting Help > Open Scripts Folder in the menu bar.

If you instead want to use scripts from the system-wide Script Menu, you’ll want to use the same folder mentioned in my previous post. More information on using the Script Menu can be found here: Mac Automation Scripting Guide: Using the Systemwide Script Menu.

I hope that helps!