How Do You Not Have Project Tags Auto-Assign/Cascade Into Task Tags?

Hi All,

Quick question here.

How does one fix the auto-tagging from a new project from cascading into the tag of the next action or task?

For instance, let’s say I have a project of clean out the basement, and the tag for that project is "priorities "if I add a next action or task, the tag of “priorities” is automatically assigned to the next action — which always leads to me needing to highlight and delete. If there a multiple tags on the project, the deleting of tags becomes tedious.

The question is: how do you set it up where the next actions don’t take on the context of the parent project?

Thx.

How does one fix the auto-tagging from a new project from cascading into the tag of the next action or task?

This is by design, so there isn’t anything to fix. In other words, it’s a limitation, not a bug.

It would be helpful to have a setting that determines whether or not project and group tags are automatically inherited by child actions/groups. I recommend sharing this feedback with Omni. You can reach out to them by choosing Contact Omni from the Help menu (Mac) or Settings (iPhone, iPad).

In practice, I rarely add tags to projects. The exception is projects where all/most of the actions have the same tag. For example, I have a single action list called 📦 Personal | Admin that’s tagged with “Admin,” as most of the actions I add to this project will have a tag of “Admin”. This saves me the extra effort of manually adding the tag.

On a side note, if you assign a project using Quick Entry (Mac) and don’t include the tag, the project’s tag(s) will automatically be applied to the new action. If, however, you specify tag(s) in Quick Entry, the project’s tag won’t automatically be applied.

For example, if I use Quick Entry to add an action of “Pay Visa bill” to my 📦 Personal | Admin single action list and don’t specify a tag, the “Admin” tag will be applied automatically. If I use Quick Entry to add an action of “Buy office supplies” and add a tag of “Staples”, the “Admin” tag won’t be applied.

I hope this helps!

This is super helpful. Thank you for the explanation and examples.

I’ll pass a note to Omni.

Appreciate it!

You’re very welcome, @anteup105. Good to hear what I shared was helpful!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.