How do you use the Forecast / Today Tag?

Dear Users,

I am thinking about how I could use the Forecast / Today Tags in the Forecast view in the best way.

I read this article regarding this issue: https://inside.omnifocus.com/blog/the-forecast-tag
and they say it might be used for tasks, which are not “really” due, but which I always want to be pushed along to the other day. Also they say this tag is handy for tasks which are due, but don’t have a special time during the day, so you danke have to give them a fake date.

How do you approach with this?

Also I already have a new Idea: Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could have more Forecast Tags in the Forecast view which are being pushed along? (e.g. @DueTodayButNoSpecificTime; @NotReallyDueButPushAlong @KeepAlwaysInYourMindHighPriority @etc etc.)

My Forecast tagged items are actions I’ll get done in the next few days, but not necessarily today. The tag is just a star .

For items that are due today but with no specific time, I would perhaps set a due date for 23:59 or the last time I could possibly get it done.

If these items were important to see in Forecast, I’d apply my Forecast tag and then use an additional tag for the status (i.e. @keyboard @★ @NotReallyDueButPushAlong). Keep in mind that you can drag and drop to re-order items in the Forecast tag section.

I would be careful of overloading it, though. I wouldn’t want the Forecast to become a half-hearted Review (perspective) or daily review replacement.

If I weren’t committed to doing a ‘push along’ action soon, I’d leave it out. In the case of a ‘high priority’ action, I’d consider flagging to keep my attention on it (orange!) with the intention to do it very soon.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, your ideas were helpful to me. I think this new feature is definitely something to think more about and to see how it fits into ones workflow. I am interested in the feature development of the users technique and also of this feature through OF.