How to fix "Complete and await reply" script after Omnifocus update

Hi there,
I am not using many scripts but this is the most crucial one in my daily work. I downloaded it around two years ago and the latest update of Omnifocus broke it, saying:

“OmniFocus got an error: Can’t set completed of inbox task to true.”

Omni Tech support referred to this Forum as inhabited by helpful AppleScript-wizards, who would look at my issue and will fix it in a minute. Not sure if this is true, but I’d be thankful for pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot and the script is:

(*
This script marks the selected actions as complete and creates new actions in a “Waiting For” context to track replies.

by Curt Clifton

Copyright © 2007-2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 Curtis Clifton

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

• Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

• Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

version 1.0.2: Fixed to not lose links in note of item
version 1.0.1: Fixed to work with Mac App Store version of OmniFocus 2 Pro
version 1.0: Lots of improvements:
	• Updated for OmniFocus 2. 
	• Uses Notification Center instead of Growl. 
	• Handles a Waiting context that is a sub-context, instead of just top-level contexts. 
	• Added a property to allow adjusting due date of created task, but made the default be no due date.
	• Adds an paragraph to the new action’s note indicating when the “waiting for” task was created.
	• If the selected task is already a “waiting for” task, the new task won’t have the “Reply on:” prefix added twice, but it will get another paragraph indicating when the follow-up was sent.
version 0.2: Removed Growl support
version 0.1: Original release

*)

(*
This string is matched against your contexts to find a context in which to place the new “waiting-for” action. The matching is the same as in the context column in OmniFocus, so you don’t need the entire contexxt name, just a unique fragment.
*)
property waitingForContext : “wait”

(*
This string is used as a prefix on the original item title when creating the “waiting-for” action.
*)
property waitingPrefix : "Reply on: "

(*
This string is used as a prefix for a paragraph added to the new item’s note that indicates when the original action was completed.
*)
property notePrefix : "Reminder sent on "

(*
The number of days from now that the newly created “waiting-for” action will be due. Set to a negative number to put no due date on the new action.
*)
property daysUntilDue : 2

(*
This string is used in notifications if multiple items are processed. For single items, we use the actual item title.
*)
property multipleItemsCompleted : “Multiple Items”

(*
The following properties are used for script notifications.
*)
property scriptSuiteName : “Curt’s Scripts”

set itemTitle to missing value
tell application “OmniFocus”
tell front document
– Gets target context
try
set theContextID to id of item 1 of (complete waitingForContext as context)
set theWaitingForContext to first flattened context whose id is theContextID
on error
display alert “No context found whose name contains “” & waitingForContext & “””
return
end try
tell content of document window 1 – (first document window whose index is 1)
set theSelectedItems to value of every selected tree
if ((count of theSelectedItems) < 1) then
display alert “You must first select an item to complete.” as warning
return
end if
repeat with anItem in theSelectedItems
set itemTitle to name of anItem
set theDupe to duplicate anItem to after anItem
set completed of anItem to true

-- Configure the duplicate item
			set oldName to name of theDupe
			if (oldName does not start with waitingPrefix) then
				set name of theDupe to waitingPrefix & oldName
			end if
			set textToInsert to notePrefix & ((current date) as text) & return
			insert textToInsert at before first character of note of theDupe
			set context of theDupe to theWaitingForContext
			set repetition of theDupe to missing value
			if (daysUntilDue < 0) then
				set due date of theDupe to missing value
			else
				set due date of theDupe to (current date) + 86400 * daysUntilDue
			end if
		end repeat
		if (count of theSelectedItems) > 1 then
			set itemTitle to multipleItemsCompleted
		end if
	end tell
end tell

end tell

if itemTitle is not missing value then
my notify(“Completed and Awaiting Reply”, itemTitle)
end if

(*
Uses Notification Center to display a notification message.
theTitle – a string giving the notification title
theDescription – a string describing the notification event
*)
on notify(theTitle, theDescription)
display notification theDescription with title scriptSuiteName subtitle theTitle
end notify

You can try the latest version:

Complete And Await Reply

1 Like

Changing “set completed of anItem to true” to “mark complete anItem” should do it.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, Aeryn! That quick copy/paste did the trick!

Solve it. Thank you.

Hi and good day,

At first the script seemed to work(?!)

But at the second attempt, I see that the action is not kept in the respective project.

Either it was sent to Miscellaneous, or to the Inbox.

see here:
https://d.pr/free/i/iEbHLd

= = = = = = = = = =

=SOLVED_!

What happened is that I had fired off the AS from tasks which were in Forecast when I did it from inside a project, it works!

Thanks to Curtis for a clever script!

/

with best regards,

Omar KN

Stockholm, Sweden

1 Like