How to Guide - Create your own custom [unsupported] Themes for OmniFocus 2 [no longer needed in v2.5]

Is there any way to specify the system font in bold?

Thanks,

Toph

I moved a post to an existing topic: Frustrations with OF2

Hi Ken,

I have copied this into the correct folder but after restarting OF, the changes aren’t appearing for dues and overdue tasks. Any idea what I may have done wrong?

Beem

I pasted the file in here:
Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ [username] ▸ Library ▸ Containers ▸ com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2 ▸ Data ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ OmniFocus

And it works…

1 Like

I had the same problem when I downloaded the file above. When I downloaded it was OFIApperance.plist.txt - Remove the .txt from the file name and all should be good

2 Likes

you can download it as zip file too:

1 Like

Thank you, this did the trick! So obvious really, I could kick myself.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply, ken. Ckpiv’s tip of changing the extension worked. I totally overlooked that, so obvious!

2 Likes

I have no idea how to customize these colors. Why does one have to download special files and learn the basics of color programming in order to customize colors? It should just be an optional feature in preferences. Thanks.

I think omni has the structure in place to customize the colors. They’re just giving us a beta test of future things to come. The custom themes UI is probably still a work in progress and won’t be released until it is ready.

They’re probably trying to figure out what can be changed and how to handle it. It will come soon enough.

1 Like

Can’t come fast enough for me. I’ve paid for OF2, but consistently go back to version 1 in the heat of battle when I simply need to see all my commitments and get stuff done. The monochrome color scheme hides too much critical info.

OmniFocus 2 makes it harder to focus. Pretty sad.

3 Likes

Is there a .plist I can adjust to change the string “Available Now” to “No Defer Date”?

When I group actions by Defer Date, all the undated actions end up grouped under a heading “Available Now,” but all items deferred to today are grouped under a heading “Available Today.” I’d find it more useful if “Available Now” was called “No Defer Date” I expect it’s just a string change in a .plist or an .xml file.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.

AFAICT, the values are:

a=alpha/transparency

w=whiteness

b=brightness/luma
h=hue
s=saturation

b=blue
g=green
r=red

All the values are normalized between 0 and 1.
To normalize a color value, you divide the value by the maximum range. For example, if you pick an 8-bit color and the red channel is 127.5, you divide it by 255 (max value possible) which results in a normalized value of 0.5. That’s the value you enter in the plist.

I’m sure there’s an app somewhere that does color picker-normalized conversions. I just made a spreadsheet and entered the values from the color picker.

If I want to make my Due Soon and Overue bold, in addition to orange and red colors from Ken’s example file, what do I do there?
(no knowledge on scripting)

I have finally tried this. To mimic OF1, I have made available actions blue, and it helps immensely for me in being able to discriminate items that are blocked from items that area available.

My question: Does anyone know what the settings should be to match the blue for available actions in OF1?

Thanks.

Edit: I figured it out by launching OF1 and finding the RGB values in the default style, then converting to percentages.

1 Like

This is super frustrating.

I understand the desire to minimize noise and hide some of the overwhelming options…but eliminating options seems like a step backwards.

Attention Omni Staff: “I wish this program had less functionality and customizable options.” Said nobody. Ever.

We all spent a good deal of money and time to adopt your system on multiple platforms, and now along comes OF2, which seems to focus more on looking pretty than on actually performing the function for which we became customers of yours in the first place.

Not one to gripe, but come on already. Basic things like visibly seeing the duration of tasks, and being able to edit the font format seems pretty silly for you to omit in the ‘upgraded’ version.

2 Likes

I agree with Jamis747.

Yeah, what he said.

Awesome. Can you provide those percentages?

In the end, I switched to the OF2 colors, since the OF1 colors didn’t harmonize as well as I would like.

<key>OFIContentAvailableTaskTitleColor</key>
<dict>
	<key>a</key>
	<real>1</real>
	<key>b</key>
	<real>0.91372549019608</real>
	<key>g</key>
	<real>0.59607843137255</real>
	<key>r</key>
	<real>0.24705882352941</real>
</dict>
<key>OFIContentDueSoonTaskTitleColor</key>