How to hide waiting tasks/projects from forecast?

Hi there,
how can I hide waiting tasks/projects from forecast-view on the iPad in OF 2?

No one can help? :(

remove the dates?

Put it on hold?

If they have a Due date, they will always show up on the Forecast view. There’s currently no way around.
If they don’t, it depends on whether your Forecast view is configured or not to show Deferred tasks.

• In case it is not showing Deferred tasks, you’re good. Your Waiting (or any other tasks without a Due date) won’t show up
  • In case it is showing Deferred tasks, only way to hide your Waiting tasks is not to give them a Defer date.

That’s really really bad -.-

by putting a date, you’re telling OF that it needs doing, why wouldn’t it appear. Take the date off and add a Flag instead.

What kind of logic is that? oO Remove a needed date?

Example: In a customer-project I need to wait for a response of the customer. So I set the task or the project to hold. I don’t want to see this project/task anymore in the forecast, because I know that it is on hold. OF would shows me numbers on the badge, which are wrong, because I can’t to the task until the customer answer to my request. And yes, it needs the date. This is important to see how long I’m waiting for the answer.

There are many other examples, why it is needed to get the option “Hide hold tasks from forecast”

1 Like

Possible work around.

Sounds like you need a start (defer) date rather than a due date together with the config to hide deferred items until due. I find changes to task wording can help. E.g “chase Fred if no response on the xyz project received yet” rather than “waiting for response from Fred re xyz project” make more sense to me (as it is something for me to do)

Using the logic that due dates are only for life and death deadlines - if one of those exists, I put a second task in like “Fred’s response is overdue” with a second defer date.

On the Mac version there are some template scripts that can help minimise the extra work of having two tasks instead of one.

Please read exactly what I wrote:

If I’m waiting for an answer of a customer, which should answer last monday (but didn’t), this task is overdue, but it doesn’t have to appear in my forecast or in the badge-counter.

OmniFocus takes due dates very seriously - it assumes that there are real world consequences (fines, penalties, etc) that accrue if you miss them. That’s why there aren’t many ways to hide them; it’s annoying to be reminded of something you haven’t finished yet, but annoyance pales in comparison to a court fee or some of the other consequences that could missing the deadline could accrue.

One thing we’ve seen in our own use and with customers we’ve worked with is that it can be tempting to try to use due dates as a motivational tool. Use them as “want to” dates instead of a “have to” dates, in other words.

It’s an understandable desire, but in our experience, that approach has a tendency to backfire - you don’t hit the due date, but it was an aspiration, so why not bump it and give yourself another chance? Then things get busy, so you bump it again…

One cost here is that you’re now spending time on maintaining the system instead of working towards the goals the system is meant to help with. We also see people’s “deadlines” start to increase in number when they’re used this way, which can add to the problem. Eventually it trains you to just not pay much attention to them at all, which isn’t good.

In a situation such as you describe, the customer has blown the deadline assigned to that action; it sounds like this particular deadline doesn’t actually rise to the level of severity that OmniFocus intends for due dates to have.

One fix here would be to contact the customer, ask them if there’s anything you can do to help them with the outcome that action represents, then check off the existing action and file a new action with a due date in the future. Alternatively, you can go ahead and edit the due date on the existing action - just do so with caution.

Sorry for the wall of text, by the way, but hopefully it helps!

1 Like

Ok, I understand this for this case, but here’s another case - maybe you can help me with this one to, to find a working solution for me:

I try to use OmniFocus for my whole life, to get everything in one place/app.

So, I put my incoming invoices into a action-list called “Invoices”. All this invoices getting an due-date and some are recurring, too.

Ok, once a week I pay all the invoices of the week, that are overdue. Most times I do this on the weekend.

On Monday may comes a new recurring invoice, which will shown as overdue on Tuesday, which sets my badge higher and tells my every time there are tasks overdue.

I automatically know that there are invoices overdue, but they have to wait until the weekend (there are reasons for this kind of handling the invoices).

So I put this stuff to “hold”, because I know it is there, I know it it overdue and I know I’ll pay them on the weekend.

In this case it is needed for me, that I can hide hold things from the forecast, because it takes to much time to search in forecast in all overdue tasks between “real” overdue tasks and overdue invoices, which are grayed out, but still there in this long list (sometimes).

It would be much more easier, if a user could optionally hide hold stuff from forecast AND badge, even it is overdue.

OmniGroup does so much to meet the customers needs. Here is one more. Just look in this and the old forum, how often this is discussed and still nothing happens :(

I moved a post to an existing topic: “Today” extension not showing overdue items?

Of course it needs to appear in forecast, you’ve said it needs doing by a certain date and it’s not completed, therefore it’s overdue and appears in that section of forecast.

Otherwise, it may disappear from view and never get done…

How else would you go back and chase it?

This suggests that the invoice is not due when you have it in OF, you’re just recording the date it arrived? or you’re paying the bill late, ie.e you’ve passed the due date.

You can set the date to when you’re going to pay it as that is when you’ll action it,

Alternatively, set a project deferred to and due every Saturday, and when you receive an invoice, crate an action for it in the Saturday invoice project with no dates on the actions. Then you won’t forget.

One way to handle this would be to turn off badge counts entirely, and only deal with overdue items within OmniFocus itself. That makes overdue items feel less “pressing” if you’re really going to simply let things float past their due dates.

However, I tend to go with the approach Brian explains earlier in this thread that due dates are only for critical, “hard landscape” things that have consequences I care about and am unwilling to deal with. It was really the OmniFocus design that taught me that, and it’s one of the reasons I keep using OmniFocus – it’s much more relaxing to not have a bunch of artificial due dates nagging away at me for things that really aren’t that important.

For my bills, I consider the company’s due date to be artificial for many of them, and prefer to match paying them to my time and cash flow cycle. There are obviously exceptions (e.g. rent/mortgage payments), but a lot of routine stuff in the world of bills doesn’t carry a lot of consequences if it slips by a couple of days. I therefore take this approach for each of my non-critical bill payment reminders:

• Defer date set to a couple of days before the bill is actually due (OF used to call this a “Start” date, which IMHO is a more accurate way of looking at it in this case).
  • No Due Date
  • Set as flagged (this point is critical to my workflow as well).
  • Repeat Monthly.

I’ve configured OF so that the only place I see these items before the defer/start date is in the project/review zones. Everywhere else – contexts, forecast, custom perspectives – they’re hidden entirely as if they don’t even exist.

I work almost entirely from a custom perspective, which I call “Hotlist”, that is set to the following:

• Filter by Status: Due or Flagged
  • Filter by Availability: Available
  • Filter by Context: Active

My “Hotlist” perspective basically consists of those items that are actionable, but not all necessarily due, although I also sort so that the “hard landscape” due items appear at the top. When bill payments are approaching their due date, they will appear on my Hotlist, since the defer date has passed, and they’re flagged. They stay on my radar until they’re paid, and once they’re checked off, disappear from the list until the same time next month.

There are obviously other variations you can use on this theme. Household chores go into a “Home” context, with repeating ones getting defer dates, however I don’t bother flagging them unless they’re critical, so those never appear in my Hotlist. On a Saturday afternoon when I decide I need to take care of that stuff, I visit that context and see only those items that are ready to be dealt with, and I can casually work my way through the list taking care of those that I think are addressable or necessary, and leave the rest for later. Obviously, the same approach could be taken with something like a “Saturday at My Desk” context if you know that you always pay your bills or deal with other similar paperwork at a specific time.

The bottom line is that OmniFocus provides a lot of flexibility for dealing with actionable items without resorting to the “default” method of artificial due dates that seem to get stuck in people’s routines.

1 Like

In the 1st version of OF, the forecast view DID NOT include actions from paused projects - and I am absolutely sure it was a proper behavior.
Now I have to create a separate perspective to find actions to be done today, yesterday, or tomorrow.

I do not want to delete “due date” for actions of paused projects - just because it is paused!!!

I disagree- if there is a due date set anywhere in OmniFocus, I rely on it telling me exactly at the time and date I set that this action is now due- irrespective of the state of the project. That to me is what due actually means, and that is how this idea is implemented now. I was completely unnerved by the behavior of Things not showing up due tasks in the today view, no matter where they are located- but it is clear that we are not able to have both at the same time.

The only solution for this seems to be an option built into OF, but then again it might overly confuse people… I learned that too many options is a bad thing the hard way (thank You, 2do meltdown ;-)…)

My most preferred way of dealing with tasks that need to be out of sight until I am pulling them out again is via the waiting for context: name a context accordingly and set it to “on hold”. Any task associated with this will now switch to unavailable and not appear in the accordingly set perspectives (view tab to “active”)

1. I think that a simple option like “Include paused projects to Forecast view” (let it be ON by default) will be VERY useful.
  2. The idea about “context on hold” is not good (imho). Just imagine - I need to change context for all my paused projects, why??? And after resume - I need to restore contexts, no no no(((
1 Like

come to think about it , though, the context changed, didn’t it? It went from “brushing teeth @bathroom” to “waiting for toothbrush to arrive for starters”… To me this context modulation makes a lot of sense… your mileage might vary ;-)