How to improve the performance of Search Everything?

You can see what I am talking about in the video below. I am using “Search Everything” to look for the string “Lorem” anywhere in my OmniFocus database, and in this case it happens to only exist in one place in the inbox. I am pasting “Lorem” at the 2.08 seconds mark, and the result shows at the 5.17 seconds mark, which means that OmniFocus spent 3.09 seconds doing to this search, which was long enough for macOS to show a beach ball.

This is on a 2020 13" MBP (32 GB RAM, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7), with old data recently moved to the archive. I have also tried to rebuild the database, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. The iOS app reports I have 51 projects, 8577 actions, 29 zip files. I expected that doing what amounts to a grep on a text file with 10 thousand lines would feel instant, not take 3 seconds and show a beach ball, this even without an M1 ;).

Is there a faster way to do a “search everything” in OmniFocus with a database that has a few thousand, rather than a few hundred, actions?

-Alex

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.