How to script garbage collection?

Hi, I suspect this is really easy but I have not yet dabbled in scripting. I have a high number of recurring tasks in Omnifocus, some daily, some weekly, some monthly, etc. For most (not all) of these tasks, I do not track comments or progress. What I would like to do is have a way of identifying them, e.g. by having a Tag “Garbage Collect” and then having a script that looks for all Completed tasks with that tag, and automatically deletes them. The task could run daily, or whenever I open Omnifocus, or on some other trigger.

I suspect this is straightforward to do. I would appreciate any pointers on how to get started. thank you in advance!

Greetings! Perhaps this will work?
https://omni-automation.com/omnifocus/task.html#OF0118

1 Like

thank you Sal. That description does look like it will fit my use case with a quick addition (to filter for Status=Completed). I will do some investigating on how to setup as a script within my Omnifocus. I really appreciate the pointer!

Click the Download Plug-In button in the example to get the plug-in!

I’m no OmniJS expert but I did have one that I made in Keyboard Maestro. I hit my hot key and watch Keyboard Maestro do its work.

I have a custom perspective called “Cleanup” that shows all completed tasks that have the “Disposable” tag:

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 08.25.48

Then I created a Keyboard Maestro macro:

I have it set to a keyboard shortcut but it’s easy enough to set it to start on a timer trigger:

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 08.28.54

It goes to the Cleanup perspective, selects all the tasks (if any) in the outline and then deletes it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.