How to search all content? [A: with Global Search in v2.8, now in public test]

The search box has always frustrated me. I’m conditioned from Spotlight to think the search box is always a global search across my entire OF database. Yet it’s always a search of the currently selected project.

And with OF2, there is no view that gives you everything e.g. inbox and all projects at the same time.

if you want to search globally, you have to toggle between perspectives and then use the searchbox.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Felix

2 Likes

From my experience, you can use the Contexts or Projects perspective and then deselect all contexts/projects by clicking on the grey area above or below the contexts/projects items. OmniFocus will then show all items in a grouped (by context or project respectively) list which you can then use as an overall list to perform your global search.

Not a very user-friendly way, though (and much nicer on mobile devices where you can select the scope of your search easily at the top bar). This has been bugging me for a while, too. I’d appreciate it if you took the time to e-mail to the ninjas about this (support@omnigroup.com) and keep us updated here, maybe there’s something we’re missing.

It’s frustrating that you are able to do that on the iPhone, but not on the Mac.
Anyway, on my side, I rely on Keyboard Maestro for that and so, when I hit ⌘+F, it simulates the other keys needed to achieve what I want, as per this screenshot.

3 Likes

Instead, you can also double-click on the Projects of Contexts perspective tabs in the sidebar. The first click activates the perspective and the second will deselect any projects/contexts currently selected.

1 Like

That’s what I do too, but it sure feels very strange and confining that this is the easiest way to get at something that’s the default behavior in nearly every other modern app.

Thank you! That is genius.

2 Likes

For most situations, I prefer ⌘O the quick open window. to find folders, projects, actions.

1 Like

I agree, the behaviour here is wacky - that search isn’t global always confuses me when I expect search results but don’t get them. @steve thank you for the ⌘O! I was not familiar with this and I love it.

Cheers,

ScottyJ

I create a perspective called “All” which has all items in it (instead of available, remaining, completed, etc. like the built in perspectives have). When I really want to find something, I use the “All” perspective and then do the search against that.

1 Like

The new ⌘+O is great indeed, but doesn not work for tasks :-(

2 Likes

@ediventurin I have just realized this. I am going to email Omni right away, and request that tasks be included in the ⌘+O search. That would make Quick Open a global search, and the search box a contextual search.

7 Likes

Good idea @deturbulence

Did you get any reply? Since I miss this functionality a lot. The ⌘+O is a great new feature, but it really annoys me that search for tasks isn’t as simple.

Wow glad to hear I’m not the only one with this ‘search’ problem. The guys from omni does a great job and I really hope this functionality ‘search all content’ comes in an future update of OmniFocus 2.

A basic reply. In order to get interest in the idea, emails to Omni add votes. If you’re keen, you should email also, @cwilloch :)

ScottyJ

I too would like to have a search all feature. The suggestion to create an “All” folder is a clumsy workaround to something that is simply missing from this otherwise wonderful application.

Even if you create an “All” folder, your search still doesn’t include the Inbox. Not to mention that new projects created aren’t in “All”. This workaround doesn’t represent “All” - it only represents what you put under that folder. You may as well call it “Most”, or “Some”, or maybe “Hopefully All”.

1 Like

We’re planning to add a “Search All” option (much like we have in the iPhone and iPad apps), but in the meantime you can search everything by filtering the built-in Changed perspective (which includes every item in your database). Once you’ve found whatever you’re looking for, you can Control-Click on it and choose “Show in Projects” or “Show in Contexts” to show it in those perspectives.

4 Likes

Really hope this is coming soon. Wish the search would default to searching all, instead of the inbox or whatever.

1 Like

I am AMAZED that this is how the search box works. You mean I have to SEARCH for the right project before starting my search? Completely useless to me.

1 Like

I have a workaround I use. I created a perspective called ‘search’ it includes the entire library and shows any status. I click this first, then search.

Yeah, good workaround! Actually, Actually so good that Omni themselves implemented this strategy in form of the aforementioned “changed” Perspective- if you select it, search will be global.

1 Like