Implementation Details for OmniFocus 2.14 Automation

Alright, it’s Saturday and I had leftover Easter Bunnies as fuel: Extended forum example.

I wasn’t sure if you always order all of those materials so I made them into a list that is pre-selected by default. If you select other you can add a line separated list of other materials which get formatted the same way. Of course, if there are other things you add regularly, then you should just add them to the list. Similarly for the “Research Stage”, you might want to make those into a list which you just select from as appropriate, but I’ve added it to the text box for now.

Have fun, and let me know if you have any questions :)
The same goes for anyone else using this Workflow as a template or who is curious, I genuinely enjoy playing with the app so am happy to answer questions and help out if I have the time to do so :)

1 Like

Rose that’s really really great. Very kind of you. I had spent a load of this week listening to the Canvas podcasts trying to figure it out and only just got to the episode on magic variables.

I had made some progress but nowhere near as much as you have. Prepared to bet it took you a lot less time too!!

I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions next week but one quick thing now. Do you know how to create a new Dropbox folder in another prespecified Dropbox folder and also how to duplicate and add a file, whereby the file names are generated from ‘Ask for input’ outputs in workflow?

Thinking that after asking the clients name and type of project the workflow would automatically generate a folder inside the Dropbox furniture folder, and name in with the clients name joined to the project name. It would then copy in three template files (one sketch up, one rhino and one AutoCAD) and rename them again with the client name + project name.

Thanks again and if you’re ever in London or SE UK I owe you a drink.

Sorry Rose one last thing. Is there anyway to print out the steps on workflow to help with the debugging process?

For those who haven’t already seen this in the latest Mac test build’s release notes: OmniFocus 2.10 for Mac is adding support for all the /add and /paste URLs, so you can write automation logic that works the same way on Mac as it does on iOS.

6 Likes

Ken, I did notice one thing. When I specify the project as in @project(X), Omni focus does a nearest match for the project. Not so for the context tag.

Ken, I tried this URL scheme in OmniFocus 2.9.1 (v113.10.2) for Mac and it´s not working.
omnifocus:///paste?target=inbox&content=-%20task1
Could you test this, please?

This support is coming to Mac in v2.10, which is still in testing.

There isn’t a @project(X) attribute in our TaskPaper format, which is why there’s a difference there: yes, it’s true that our URL handlers for looking up a project (including for the ?target parameter on /paste) will generally search for the nearest match (similar to the Quick Open command), unlike the rules for our TaskPaper format which expect a more strict name match.

Thanks, Ken!