Is there a view setting for Indent guides?

I’m wondering if there is an option for enabling indent/tab guides to show how many levels indented a given row is? A lot of text editors offer something like this, and I would really benefit form in in OmniOutliner, I frequently find myself uncertain about the alignment of rows. I’ve looked through the OO5 manual and the menu options but haven’t found anything like this. I just wasn’t sure if perhaps I had overlooked it?
I suppose changing gutter colour is one workaround but I think I’d prefer a setting that affected the view, rather than the actual formatting of the outline (e.g., I don’t necessarily want the gutter to be coloured when I print or export the outline).

Is your question something like Visual lines for parent level items with their children?

If so, the answer’s no—but I’d love to see it implemented!

Ugh, yes, and I’m disappointed I didn’t find that thread when I did my search.

But now I know it can’t be done and that I’m not crazy!

Thanks!

I frequently find myself uncertain about the alignment of rows.

Have you considered applying a Level Styles theme to address the problem of identifying what level a row is on?

SG

@SGIII - I use Level Styles themes all the time. The difficulty I have is (a) the styles are not always obviously different…especially when they’re separated by quite a few rows, and (b) normally the styles are only for the first few levels and I quickly move beyond those levels in my documents.

@scottisloud - I often find this a bit of a pain on Mac, but on iOS it’s even harder since the disclosure triangles are all aligned hard-left. Hopefully this is fixed when the next major version for iOS is released.

Yeah I find this particularly frustrating too. I strongly suspect (and hope) that OO3 for iOS coming sometime this year will refine many of these things!

This is a great suggestion, and I’ve been doing a bit of this, but as @funkydan2 notes, that doesn’t work well if the number of child rows pushes the parent row out of view (as is often the case in my usage). I also find that sometimes when going more 3 levels, this gets a bit unruly, particularly the you have full-sentence or paragraph-length content in rows… nobody wants a paragraph full of 16pt bold font. I could play with colours to help, but all of this really starts to undermine my desire to be able to identify row-level without impacting the actual format of the outline.

Meanwhile, with Pro on the Mac you can use a simple AppleScript to select (and thus visually highlight) all rows on the same level as a row you have selected. Like all scripts this can be put in the menu and also attached to a keyboard shortcut.

tell application "OmniOutliner"
	tell front document
		set selLevel to first selected row's level
		select (rows whose level is selLevel)
		set selected rows's ancestors's expanded to true
	end tell
end tell

SG

1 Like