Is there any rhyme or reason as to how tasks are sorted in the Forecast view?

I’m wracking my brain as to how Forecast sorts tasks. I hit Command+N to create a new task – it creates one above the currently highlighted one. Cool. Then I create it and assign it a project. Okay, now they’re out of order:

I want my tasks in the same project to be grouped next to each other if they’re at the same due time. But it doesn’t seem to be doing that. So what is it sorted by?

• It sorts by time, yes, but when they’re all the same time, I don’t see how it sorts it.
  • It’s not by project, or else the task marked Contemporary Civilization would be grouped with the other task marked Contemporary Civilization.
  • It’s not a manual sort since I can’t pick up one task and move it to the right place, e.g. I can’t pick up the first task and move it above the same-project task.
  • It’s not alphabetical since, well, just look at the thing.

So it just seems… totally random without any way to rearrange? This is driving me nuts, please let me know if I’m missing something.

The Forecast perspective sorts actions by the due time. When actions have the same due time they are presented in the order that they appear with the Projects perspective.

1 Like

Thank you, Anne. Am I seeing a bug with the screenshot above? All of the four tasks have the same due date (5pm), but in my Projects perspective I see:

• Contemporary Civilization
  • Experimental Psychology

But in the screenshot above, it looks like:

• [Task] Contemporary Civilization
  • [Task] Experimental Psychology
  • [Task] Experimental Psychology
  • [Task] Contemporary Civilization

In a sense, they’re jumbled. This isn’t by design, right?

Hmmm. That does seem a little strange, although I’d need to see all the metadata and how those items are arranged in Projects to say for sure whether you’ve hit a bug or not. Would you mind if we dug into this a little deeper via email? You could either send an email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com, or I’d be happy to start that process for you on my end.

1 Like

Thank you Anne, sent an email to that address with some details. The issue seems to go away after re-opening OmniFocus, so I’m not sure if that’s expected behavior or not.

@anne Why doesn’t Omnifocus 2 simply allow manual sorting in the Forecast View. This would be much quicker and more time efficient then to punch in times on all your tasks in a given day?

3 Likes

Omni Staff, i too would love to see manul sorting in Forecast view.

3 Likes