Items disappearing, and other UI troubles

Hi all,

When I’m trying to create tasks, sometimes I’ll do something like hit cmd-] trying to indent a task to be a child of the one above it, and it will instead just disappear into fat air, with no feedback telling me where it’s gone or why it’s gone. At this point I usually attempt an undo, which doesn’t undo, but I assume has undone an edit before that operation, as the hiding doesn’t count in the undo log.

Where are these tasks going? How on earth do I find them? And how do I screw around with view settings right now to try and find things without overriding whatever perspective I last clicked on?

A good place to start is to change the View options for the perspective that you’re in by clicking the View button in the toolbar. Assuming it’s one of the built-in perspectives (e.g. Projects, Tags), you can set it to “All” to see everything, including items that have been completed and dropped.

If you haven’t already, you might also want to reach out to Omni Support by choosing Contact Omni from the Help menu.

I hope this helps!

I get that I can click the view button to change the perspective, but I don’t want to change the perspective, I just want to change what I’m looking at without changing any state.

If you’re looking at your OmniFocus database using a built-in perspective (e.g. Projects and Tags) and set the View to All, you’ll see everything, including tasks that are unavailable, dropped, and completed. In other words, changing the setting to “All” will reveal items that aren’t visible if you’re using one of the other settings (First Available, Available, and Remaining).

I don’t want to change the perspective, I just want to change what I’m looking at without changing any state.

On OmniFocus for Mac, this change to the View setting will be temporary unless you click “Save”.

1 Like

Great, thanks!

1 Like

You’re very welcome, @Sophistifunk.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.