Lost/ Forgot Encryption Password

Hey,

after a database migration I was asked to enter my encryption password (different to the WEBDAV one). Unfortunately I missed to enter it in 1password…
What can I do? I still can sync from one mac too webdav- but the encryption password ist not stored in keychain. The other mac and IOS devices ask for the pw.
Any idea how to handle this?
Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,

I’m sorry to hear this! If you don’t remember specifying an separate encryption passphrase, OmniFocus originally would have set your passphrase to whatever your sync server password was at the time. If that doesn’t help, you’ll want to contact support if you haven’t already; there’s not much hope I’m afraid, but they might have some ideas.

As long as one machine has the data, it should be possible to just re-set the encryption password, or to export/import the OmniFocus database on that machine and then re-sync and then properly set the encryption password, correct?

1 Like

@CatOne, ahh, good point. It’s not 100% clear from the original post if @sponch still has a copy of his database on the device, but if so it should be possible to get back up and running.

I’m trying to add a new iOS device and it’s not accepting the encryption password I have on file. It’s also not accepting it on the old devices when I try to make changes for testing purposes, though I don’t need to change it there, and syncing works. One possible cause is that it was incorrectly noted down on my end; however, I’ve had to enter it on other devices in the past, and it has worked (though I don’t recall if it was retrieved from the same password manager at that time). Are there any known instances of passwords “going bad” after a while?

Nevermind, I fixed it by following these instructions: https://support.omnigroup.com/of-set-aside-server/

I don’t have a Mac, but I was able to log in with WinSCP and remove the OmniFocus.ofocus directory, and syncing pushed the local database with the account password instead, allowing me to set a new encryption password and sync on other devices as well.