Low effort high duration task

Hello.

I’m new to OmniPlan and I’m creating a project for my team (IT solutions), we have a lot of activities that are what I like to call “low effort/high duration tasks” , let me explain to you what I mean.

In real life, these are activities that will take 1 hour of one of my engineers (resources) but it will take more hours to complete, for example, in my company we have a process to generate virtual servers, add all the software and do all the steps that need to be done before they are “Ready”, this activity takes 1 hour of my engineers but 10 hours calendar to actually complete (this process is automated, nothing my engineer needs to do after the process is in progress), if I have to build 100 virtual servers, it takes 3 hours of my engineers (to prepare the system, and to review the templates ) but it will take 8 days of calendar days. I put this activity as an 8 day task but Omniplan then assume the resource is busy for 8 days when this doesn’t meet reality.

what do you think is the best way to present this type of task in OmniPlan?

Thanks!

anybody? please help :(

maybe this should be in the OmniPlan forum instead of the OmniFocus forum?

that would explain, yes

I don’t personally use Omniplan but maybe this link might help you? It looks like a tutorial to start working in OmniPlan. Good luck!

https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omniplan/mac/3.4/en/working-in-omniplan-a-tutorial/

@sleepingTPM The “Adjust Assigned Amounts” Resource Allocation option in OmniPlan 3 should allow you to set this type of task up. When you select this Resource Allocation option in the Task Inspector you can tell OmniPlan that the duration of this task will last 8 days, but only 3 hours of effort will be required to complete it.

If you have further questions about resource allocation options in OmniPlan our Support team would be happy to help out! They can be reached Mon - Fri, 10am - 5pm Pacific at 1 (800) 315-6664 or by email at omniplan@omnigroup.com.