Mail to Quick Entry AppleScript

Brad, how does it process the email without leaving the mail client? Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you wrote in the OP, but it looks like it opens the quick entry window and populates it precisely like clipping does.

I’m not criticizing, sorry if it came off that way. Just trying to understand what this script does. Near as I can tell, it looks like it does precisely what Clipping does, but has the added functionality of automatically moving the email to the Archive folder, this being the only difference between regular Clipping functionality. Am I understanding that correctly or did I get that wrong?

That’s exactly what it does, except it doesn’t paste the rich text body of the email into the notes field as well (like clipping does) - it’s just the subject and the link (unless you follow the comments above).

It processes the email without leaving the mail client by:

1. Popping the quick entry
  2. Do some stuff there and save to OmniFocus
  3. Focus returns to the mail client, but the email has been archived so you can move onto the next one.

This lets me get through all my email in very short order using only the keyboard (touch it once etc.)

Gotcha, thanks.

Hi, Brad, I am a fairly seasoned Mac user, but have never gotten into using the Automator service. Wondering if you could provide some more instruction? I opened the service and it gave me the option to record my keystrokes and mouse clicks, but I couldn’t figure out how to just cut and paste your script. I really like the idea of it, and am all about “inbox zero.” Thanks in advance.

Great - working perfectly for me.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your script. I’ve got it working on a keyboard shortcut using Indev’s Mail Act-On plugin for Apple Mail.

Could you tell me if it would be possible to automatically propagate the “Project” field in the Quick Entry Box with a specific project name? Due to OF2’s ‘quarantine’ of the Inbox, I have made my own inbox folder at the top of my project hierarchy. This makes it much easier to process my inbox actions, when I can see all my projects hierarchy in the sidebar. Consequently, I would like to push tasks created with the Quick Entry Box from Mail to this alternative inbox. Unfortunately, I can’t figure out how to edit your Applescript to make this happen…

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

A.

Getting a project by name is kinda hard - OmniFocus’s AppleScript dictionary is hung on top of the primary keys they use internally.

There are some useful functions here to get a project by name - it’s not something I’ve needed to do before.

I build the code in Automator. I can compile. I can go to Mail and select a message and run the code from Automator…

How do I get the service established and associate it with a keyboard shortcut. I can not figure out how to get the service run-able other than from inside Automator.

Thanks,
Kurt

http://www.macosxautomation.com/services/learn/tut01/index.html has some info.

Thought I would paste this snippet to this group. I created a mail to quick entry task that checks to see if the message is from a VIP and then flags it in the quick entry action. It also does several formatting options. Hope this helps someone out there.

Not sure if I should create a new thread on this script or not

How can I replace the message:// URL of the email by a text clickable link Original Mail ?