Marking projects as inactive

Hello,

I’ve bought OmniFocus pro mostly to use the template script made by Curt Clifton (http://curtclifton.net/poptemp). He notes that he sets his template project as inactive. I think he’s done that in OF1. I can’t find a way to mark a project as inactive in OF2. My project is on hold but because I have to give it a due date, it shows up in my Forecast tab as due. Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks
Gary

I guess ‘inactive’ here is synonymous for ‘on hold’, so you are doing the exact same thing.

About the due-date, you really have a due-date on a template-project? That sounds a bit weird. Isn’t it possibly to keep the template project without, and add a due date on the project-instances created from the template?

1 Like

Thanks. I think you might be right about on hold = inactive.

Yes I have a due date (the template script supports it). This is a common projects and all tasks take the same amount of time so automated due dates make sense here.

I think I have fixed it by setting the due date 10 years into the future, so it won’t come up in the forecast tab.

Thank you.

Why not just remove the due date? Just because the script supports a due date does not mean that it should always be applied.

This seems a bit confusing. Due Date usually means a strict MUST DO BY statement. I wonder whether your use is causing more confusion. Can you see that it is likely the root of the problem you subsequently solve by a “hack” to set the due date to some infinite time forward in the future?

JJW

Why not just remove the due date? Just because the script supports a due date does not mean that it should always be applied.

No, but I want to apply due dates. Let’s say I’m a house cleaner and need to create a different project every time I clean a new house. Every room might take 30 minutes and the whole house needs to be cleaned in 3 hours. It makes sense to set a project due date and a due date for every task (room) on that list.

This seems a bit confusing. Due Date usually means a strict MUST DO BY statement. I wonder whether your use is causing more confusion. Can you see that it is likely the root of the problem you subsequently solve by a “hack” to set the due date to some infinite time forward in the future?

The script asks you to set a due date for every task in your template so these can be used in your new template-generated project. Using the above example: I set the template-project to be due by 21 October 2015 at 7.30PM. The house has 6 rooms and each takes 30 minutes to clean, so every task on the list will have a 30 minute due date from the one before it (7.30PM, 7PM, 6.30PM…). Now if I generate a new project using this template, I just give it a final due date and it will populate a new list with all the rooms to clean and a 30 minute due date for each of them.
If I explained this badly, maybe this link will help: http://curtclifton.net/poptemp

I have no problem with the template. It solves my problem. The problem I have is that I don’t know how to mark it as inactive so it doesn’t show in my forecast/review perspectives.

For the Review perspective, there is a setting for showing active projects (instead of remaining), which does not include on-hold and deferred projects.

This is great, thank you very much. Found it.

Glad you found the answer. Setting a due date to be arbitrarily off at some infinite time later was a bad way to hack an answer to the problem.

JJW

Suggestion: take a look at Chris Sauvé’s “Templates.scpt”, inspired on @curt 's original Populate Template.
I guess it will give you a much more flexible way to manipulate (due) dates on templates ;)

Yep, this is one is much better, thanks!

1 Like

I thought you’d like it :D

I believe that the link here has been hijacked. It now goes to a site which pops up fake security messages with a request to call a phone number because of security issues.

Here is a link to the github repo which is fine link…

1 Like