Multiple Contexts per Task [now in TestFlight]

@Hatter perhaps it’s not sinking in for you either. Yes, I could do some lame hackery to get around something that Omni goes back and forth on committing to for years now. Yes, I could ignore what for me would be a very useful way to work. Yes, you don’t see it as an issue or being useful. That’s your personal view of the world.

Maybe you aren’t understanding that for many of us, not all, that these work arounds are sub-optimal and with a minor change anytime in the last few years @kcase and team could have fixed the problem. Nothing stops them from making this a toggle and hiding it from those of you who don’t see the usefulness. I wouldn’t mind hiding the time field as I don’t use it and don’t find it useful, but I don’t think they should take it out. Same goes for flags, not strictly GTD, yet useful for many people on this forum.

You can chose to use the tool your way, that’s fine. I think the evidence shows strongly that for many of us a multi-context tool would be extremely useful. If Things interface and flow were more like OmniFocus you wouldn’t see me in this forum as I would have left the tool already.

Either Omni will soon support this or someone else will, maybe I’ll write my own as I learn Swift. At that stage Omni will shed more users due to it’s complexity and increasing lack of flexibility and responsiveness to it’s customer base. Time will tell.

Thanks for your input.

Completely agree, and this is what some people can’t understand. Contexts are the perfect way to view your tasks, especially on ipad or iphone and when you have a complex environment, why not let the Computer make it easier so you don’t have to think. ‘I’m stood in front of Fred Bloggs, Do I need anything of him’, I’m sat in a budget meeting, which tasks can I progress with the people I expected to be here.

Here are two simple examples

1. I have a tasks to agree something and I could agree it with any one of 4 people who I’m likely to bump into in one of 3 meetings or in 2 places. I am not going to create 24 tasks, or put 24 #tags in the task name as it suddenly becomes 256 characters and unworkable. What I need is to be able to add the context for each person, meeting and place so that when I open that context (Person, Place or meeting) I can get the task completed and closed. BANG, done. If I had to choose one context, I would likely miss a chance to progress something.

2. I have a task in a documentation project to ask someone to review a document. Task is get document reviewed, Contexts are “Waiting for” and “John Smith” This way I can easily review my waiting for items, or I can easily see everything I have outstanding for John Smith, his workload, the projects I’ve assigned to him and what I’m waiting for.

#tags complicate reading your tasks and make them too long.

Pure GTD was create by DA in a Paper based world, he even talked about Energy, Focus and tools, but with ubiquitous Computers, Phones and internet, we need better flexible tags to better use our time and remain productive.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t mean to shout, didn’t realise the forum used Markdown.

Multiple contexts help me get things done as soon as possible. Finding the correct actions to do at the right time in OF IS about workflow. If I bump into someone in the corridor, why not polish a couple of task off. But with a single context at the moment and some tasks which could easily garner half a dozen contexts, if I assign a task to one context, I can’t see it in others.

If I’m having a braindead day, there are thigns which are against other contexts which I can also mark as low energy which can be completed, thus making a day productive which otherwise would not be.

Omni are taking a valid step to unify the Front end, only once that is done can changes be made to the underlying database and maintain compatibility with OF1.

Possibly work has already been completed to make Tags easier in the future, it’s just not ready for release yet.

I’ve shunned labelling energy levels. When I look at my OmniFocus list, I might cheat and just do the low energy tasks because I feel like it. But I feel that I’m just procrastinating by doing all the easy stuff first. I always just try to eat that frog and do something - especially the tasks that I’ve been avoiding.

2 Likes

I have, (Things and Evernote), but the lack of Forecasting and Review were too tough to bear.

Completely agree, but in a state where I’m tired, doing low energy tasks which have low quality thresholds is far superior to trying something harder and doing a half arsed job that I’ll probably have to go back and sort out later wasting some or all of the previously spent time.

1 Like

I switched to Things for a while since it’s tagging feature worked perfectly for my needs. Each task would be tagged with names, regardless of if the task was delegated to the individual, or I made a promise to the individual, they made a promise to me etc.

That way, when meeting or calling Colin Drain, I could do a search for “Colin Drain” and see every item with that tag, and get all my business with Colin done in one session.

There are likely more sophisticated ways of accomplishing this, but it was simple as sin, and worked. Note: that is why I don’t understand the reluctance to put it into Omnifocus. It’s just a field with tag values. It can be used or ignored, but at least it solves several requirements in a simple manner.

Those are my two bits of commentary.

Mike May

2 Likes

Mike,
Omnifocus will continue to evolve and there’s no guarantee that will include an additional tag feature. I speculate that we’ll see contacts association at some point, no wait, I’ll make that a prophecy. (haha) Might as well. It’s a feature that has been requested and is on their radar. Even without this feature Omnifocus meets my needs with its existing search engine. As other’s have mentioned, simply put your tags in the notes field. It works perfectly for me, the only person for whom I can speak. :-) I use Keyboard Maestro to quickly call up my tag list.

To toss one more thought into this never ending discussion. Just about every problem I’ve had regarding organization in and out of Omnifocus has involved too much taxonomy, and too little review. I’ve learned to see review as two distinct things, and this was important to getting my stuff under control: an event that I DO, and a thing that is an additional field within Omnifocus.

The second makes the first easier.

Lastly, using the review function gives me the added daily benefit of getting to check something else off the list, right at the start! I’ve become hooked on doing my reviews and getting the satisfaction of marking a thing as reviewed. This is true even if have a project set to appear for review again the very next day and made no progress on it today! Move that stuff enough and you’ll realize something else has to change. Using Omni’s review like a checklist in and of itself was a missing piece for me.

2 Likes

I too add homemade tags (a slash followed by the tag, such as /FRED), and the search function works quickly and effectively. Of course, I’d prefer a built-in tags feature as it would bring up the tags list internally, but until we have one, this works great for me. YMMV.

2 Likes

Mood Rings & Tarot Cards. I want a Horoscope feature!

Maybe there’s some sense in “energy” but I don’t see where that accomplishes anything.
It has no relative numeric value which gives me viable input that I can measure.

I am no fan of assigning time values to tasks, because only rarely are they realistic,
but at least it gives me something measurable.

The task does not go away because I am tired. If I am too tired, I don’t do it.
Doesn’t that break the form of actionable items somehow?

1 Like

Heheeeee I had to grin at this for a minute… nice going @Hatter… All-in one-box seems not to be a solution at any point, there is an app unifying most of all these featuree: 2do. This is by no means a commercial, I tested the app and was simply completely overwhealmed by the wealth of options for a single task. Of course You don’t have to use it but somehow it still needs to be implemented in any fashion, so it’s likely to mess the UI and/or block developer time. I am strongly favoring the Omni-advertised self-limitation approach!

2 Likes

Organizational tools are great. I like this one.
Never tried 2do. There are other tools as well, that fit in with OmniFocus, I’m sure.

OmniFocus does what it does nicely. Suits me.
I don’t want any software running my life as though a code. I just need a good place to log tasks & track them without turning into a bookkeeper.

Some treat this all as a stuffy little Business Management cult, imo. TQMP & whatnot.
Organizing is not an end in itself for most people.

Sometimes it feels like everybody’s got a system of 12 Easy Universal Steps to Business Nirvana
& a book tour later this summer. (watch somebody steal that title!)

3 Likes

I downloaded the 2do trial - after a quick look:

It DOES do tags. It has a clean interface.
However, it doesn’t seem to handle the complexity level OmniFocus does.

I’d put it on par with iProcrastinate, not quite OmniFocus.

hey @Hatter, yeah indeed it does tags as well as priority, marking with stars and scheduling. If I remember correctly it even does subtasks.

But seeing all this at once gave me a headache by itself- I felt I would lose more time classifying my individual tasks than having an improved task library ;-)

I am jumping into this a little late, but I have a very useful application of Contexts that almost begs to allow more than one to be assigned to a given task. It also takes advantage of the hierarchical structure of Contexts in OmniFocus.

I have tasks organized in a way that’s consistent with the way I think about and address them. That’s what I use projects, folders, and multi-step (serial or parallel) task structures to accomplish. The majority of my OmniFocus tasks are things that I need to do, but I also use them sometimes to track things I’ve asked (or need) others to to.

In addition to conventional GTD-esque contexts, I have also defined organizational contexts: “company” at the top-level, “division” or “group” at the next level, and often also a “project” as a third level. Those are the “branches” of the tree. The “leaves” are all people’s names.

When I create a task or sub-task representing what someone else needs to do (or with whom I’ll need to get it done), I’ll assign them as the context. When I do that, it’s not just their name that identifies them, but (it can also be) that individual’s “location” within the context hierarchy that is based on the role they’re playing.

The same person can exist in more than one “context path”: there may be someone who is a member of a shared-services group within the company, for example, but they may have been assigned to work for (or on) several projects being managed by different divisions. I may be working with the same person, for example, in completely different projects.

This also allows a very neat way to track delegation of tasks through organizational units. For example, we have a “technical services” group within the company. Within that are the network security people, operations, help desk, and so on. If one of my subtasks is to get them to fix a problem, I can initially assign the group that’s supposed to handle it as its context. Then, when someone is assigned to work on my problem, I can change the context to be more specific such as the individual whom I need to contact to track its completion.

These are things that cannot be done with simple, one-dimensional classifications like tags. (They also cannot be handled effectively with links to address book entries.) I don’t need to know who their boss is in the company nor which status meetings they attend. What’s important in managing people-as-“contexts” is the capacity in which they are relevant to the task, not what their organizational relationship is to me as a fellow employee.

Just as visiting a project lets you see all of the tasks and sub-tasks, I can also visit the “context” for a workgroup to see all of the tasks for which I have them in a resource or co-worker relationship. Using my example, I can see all of the outstanding requests that I’ve made against anyone in the “technical service” group, or I can view successively more specific contexts to narrow things down.

So what does the inability to assign more than one context do to me? It forces me to unnaturally relate a task to a single organization or individual when it often makes more sense to relate it to two or more entities in the tree of contexts.

This cannot be done with tags, and the way I am using it does not in any way conflict with or add complexity to the other, more conventional (e.g. GTD) use for contexts. In fact, I have a “@Waiting” context that should also apply to these tasks!

Now, if only I could link to the address book entry from a Context…

A hierarchical multiple-tag-per-task scheme (as Things has) can be used to implement contexts but the reverse is not true.

The moment you have multiple orthogonal ways you want to view your task, Contexts will cause you problems. The following are all reasonable “attributes” a task might have, but with context they can only have one:

• Where: AtHome/AtWork/Errands
  • EnergyRequired: ImSuperman,ImClarkeKent,ImAZombie
  • Resources: PC/Phone/Spade
  • Importance: High/Medium/Low/Someday
  • Other: WaitingFor

etc. etc.

For example do I create 2 PC contexts, one under Home and one under Work? Then I need a PC perspective that selects both my PC contexts etc. etc. and things are starting to get complex.

While manually putting tags in the notes field is fine it tends to yield a lot of false positive matches and it’s not a first-class concept supported by Omni - no nice tag picker.

This isn’t something that keeps me awake at night, Contexts provide me with a good enough solution 90% of the time. But I do regularly find myself sitting down with a pencil and paper coming up with some contrived Project/Context/Focus/Perspective bodge that would have been trivial with the flexibility and simplicity of tags.

Unfortunately tags would be a big internal/architectural change for omni, probably have negative a performance impact for large databases especially in iOS and steepen the learning curve for new users. I’m glad it’s not my problem!

1 Like

FWIW, manually putting tags in the Notes field doesn’t have to yield false positives. I preface my tags with a modifier (a slash, as in /Tag) and never get false positives.

1 Like