Multiple Contexts per Task [now in TestFlight]

It is coming. I believe them, but seriously considered switching to Things 3. After doing a trial and then sitting on the idea a while, I decided to stay and embrace what I now consider as practice for the upcoming feature. I use @ThisTag as multiple contexts. It takes just a teensy bit more discipline, but each time I make a new @ThisTag, I add it to a list called @list in a folder I call Hold Lists. All of the lists in there are, of course, on hold. As I’m working, and to help me remember what I’ve started using, I keep an OmniFocus tab open with focus on that list. I just control-tab to see when necessary. Almost all the tags are names of people that I think I might want to involve in some way with an action item. These people are decidedly not the context in GTD terms. When I happen to work with them in what ever manner occurs naturally, it is helpful to do a quick search for @name and see other, related items. It is a reasonable workaround.

My workflow is heavily dependent on the built in OmniFocus review system. I use it every day, along with custom perspectives. The beauty of Things 3 and utility of multiple tags pales in comparison to the value of Review and Perspectives in my workflow. Having said all that; OF support humans, soon, please.

4 Likes

I have also toyed with Things 3, and this issue is EXACTLY what is causing me to lean away from OmniFocus.

OF3_can’t_come_fast_enough_lol.

2 Likes

The Defer Dates in OF are the big differentiator fpr me. Apparently, 2Do has them too, but I couldn’t “get” 2Do. Thanks to David Sparks, Kourosh Dini, Tim Stringer, etc., I do “get” OF, so it’s the app for me. I could hardly do my job right now without OF keeping track of my projects. Automation is becoming more and more important as I handle more projects, so I am really looking forward to OF3, hoping they get it right! Multiple tags are just the beginning!

4 Likes

Agreed - it’s way past time for this information organization app to truly shine in some genuinely forward thinking ways and I think OF3 may be it (fingers crossed).

1 Like

I think this idea is very good but it needs to be discussed thoroughly with the developers who know this completely. Multiple contexts will definitely help. and as discussed above it is clear that who don’t want tags can just not use them.