Multiple contexts Q4 rollout? [No, but TestFlight begins in Q1 2018]

I expect that @kcase is preparing his yearly roadmap article for publication in the next couple of weeks. It may provide more detail for when testing may begin, but probably not much more than expected quarter for the final product.

1 Like

You will have the option to use one tag/context or multiple tags/contexts. Itā€™s all up to you. I have also adjusted myself to the single context system. Iā€™ll be using multiple tags/contexts sparingly or maybe stick with 1-2 contexts at most. It should work as normal if youā€™re using just one context or many.

1 Like

@wilsonng Just to clarify, I want multiple tags / contexts in OmniFocus. I just hope the UI does not get a dramatic overhaul to allow this feature because I feel the UI changing is unnecessary to implement the feature. With multiple contexts I hope we also get expanded perspective filtering functionality (i.e. full complex expression builder & filtering).

2 Likes

https://culturedcode.com/things/blog/2017/12/mail-to-things/

Iā€™m actually using two different apps right now, both OF2 and Things 3. I just canā€™t quit Things 3. I try, and Iā€™m right back in it a week later. I was doing laundry and was walking across the lot and with one hand was able to easily change a variety of tasks, dates, deferments, tags, in Things 3 with one hand and no searching. Getting back to the main menu to see my projects was one swipe over. Searching was one swipe down. From anywhere. Big blue arrows in the tasks let me find an obscure task and go to its project, all with one swipe (down to search) three taps (first three letters of a word I know in it) and one tap on an arrow. I then swipe to change a date. Then long swipe right to go to my Today view (or Projects, or whatever). Just freakin easy. And being able to use multiple tags I can make multiple contexts for tasks, and also tags for energy levels, and tags for people. One weakness is I canā€™t save a couple of my tag perspectives (a collection of area of focus, tag, and people that Iā€™m constantly looking at). It takes me 5 to 7 taps to create every time.

But OF lets me focus on only the available Next Action Items now. To be able to not see all the actions that I cannot act on right now, and see only those 4 to 10 task in a specific context or perspective, allows me to narrow in and just get to work. But then sometimes I have a question about a project, whatā€™s done and needs done and so on. It isnā€™t a review, but sometimes I just have to see it. There isnā€™t tags, but there is at least text search in tasks. My list of custom perspectives grows and shrinks, cluttering up my side bar and menu bar.

If I didnā€™t know that OF3 was right around the corner, Iā€™d be tempted to just leave OF altogether and adapt my mindset to the Things 3 set. As much emotional involvement as iā€™ve got in OF over the years, I love the elegance of Things 3 so much. I am a sucker for something that is beautifully crafted.

I know OmniGroup is hard at work on things. Well, I donā€™t KNOW it. Iā€™m not spying on them. But from what Iā€™ve seen from them over the years, I assume they are doing a lot of work behind closed doors.

Iā€™m holding out hopeā€¦ But here in Oregon weā€™ve got bigger problems. We can pump our own gas now. Cities are expected to burn to the ground, cars explode, and a general crashing of civilization.

4 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more šŸ‘šŸ¼

Ha, thanks for following up on this now that they have the feature. Iā€™ll take a look.

Read the 2018 roadmap post, but either it was silent about when OF3 would be released, or I missed it. Is it still going to be this quarter, Ken?

This is indeed an old debate and Omni have always sat on the side of only having a single context. The old forums highlight an abundance of conversation on this topic. The delay in Omni implementing this continues to highlight Omniā€™s reluctant implementation of multiple tags.

Threads about multiple contexts started to appear in 2007 (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5942&highlight=multiple+contexts). In 2014 Ken Case admitted that it was needed and that it was coming and stated, ā€œBut this functionality isnā€™t planned for the initial v2.0 release,ā€¦ā€ (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=129682&postcount=74). I did expect from that comment that it would be here some time during v2, yet nearly four years on at the start of 2018 multiple contexts are still not here. They will now be a paid upgrade by the look of things.

In the end I realised that this functionality was not going to be around the corner and as multiple contexts are a necessity to my field of work, I stopped using OF and switched to 2Do.

5 Likes

In the Omni Show interview, Ken said the Testflight beta for v3 would be available this quarter, specifically in Feb or March.

1 Like