New OmniFocus extensions for iOS 8

An option to choose what perspective to use in the Today view doesn’t seem unreasonable.

I think there are memory limits to putting widgets into the Notification screen.

The PCalc developer wanted to have customisable calculator button layouts in the PCalc widget but ran into memory limits and had to pass on that idea.

I think using a customised perspective would be nice but it would probably have to be limited to perhaps the first 10-20 next actions in the selected perspective.

@wilsonng I think that limit makes sense, not just for memory, but for usability, too. To me, Notification Centre should be very explicitly “what do I need to know about so badly that I don’t even have to open an app”. That shouldn’t be a list of 30 things - it should be a list of, like, five.

What I would like to see, like @psidnell, is the ability to pick which perspective is shown in Notification Centre based on the overall context (see what I did there?) of my day. In other words, if I’m in motion for most of the day, an errands perspective makes more sense to be a swipe away. If I’m in a day-long workshop, a people/agendas perspective is more sensible. If I’m cranking through work at my desk, a projects perspective is most appropriate.

In the absence of user choice, to me, a blend of due, overdue, and flagged seems to me to be the most sensible universal choice for the widget.

Just spitballing here :)

ScottyJ

1 Like

That’s what we’re building for v2.5.

7 Likes

I love you guys.

1 Like

When I use the sharing extension in iOS 8 (iPhone 5c) to send a Webpage or whatever to an OmniFocus item, I get Project/Context/Notes… which is great. But nowhere can I find how to set the Defer or (more important) Due date. I’d rather not have to go back and process it with a date in my Inbox later, but would like to set the date right from the sharing extension.

Is this possible?

I’m new to the forums–searched through and couldn’t find this mentioned… sorry if this reply is not in the best thread or has already been covered.

1 Like

I the screenshot this show due, past due and upcoming. However in mine it only ever shows due today. Is this a setting somewhere I’m missing?

Great to hear that this is coming - can’t wait!

Can you add a ‘quick entry’ button as well so we can send tasks to the inbox quickly from the widget? Just tried a new app called ‘Neato’ and its great for capturing quick notes - something like this for OF would be amazing.

Didn’t make it into version 2.4 which is just out. So disappointed :’-(. Is it really even likely to happen?

@Bowtree00: That’s probably not gonna happen.

Neato’s developers got a notice from Apple. They can’t have a keyboard or quick text entry screen in Notification Centre.

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/apple_demands_neato_app_remove_its_keyboard_widget_notetaking

oh well…

Yeah, I read about that and had the same thought… too bad, it would have been really handy.

1 Like

This statement from a month ago is still true. (And now that v2.4 has shipped, v2.5 is one step closer.)

4 Likes

Awesome, @kcase!

Project hierarchy perspectives, too?

I also would love it if there was a due date option in the Share Extension.

Something about the bottom margin seems off on extension as well. Always some extra space in there as opposed to my other extensions.

Using the sharing extension in iOS, excellent. But try always to update the software for the iphone isn’t the best choose, that the phone can not bear, so I do not that often to do that.

this post great! Thanks for share

Ken already said that’s in the works.

[quote=“wilsonng, post:27, topic:7803, full:true”]
Neato’s developers got a notice from Apple. They can’t have a keyboard or quick text entry screen in Notification Centre.[/quote]
Maybe not right in the Notification Centre, but it would still theoretically be possible (and handy) to have a Quick Entry button that opens OmniFocus to the Quick Entry screen.

1 Like

@wilsonng @jdh Yes, similar to Drafts (which I currently use for this function). Pretty legit.

1 Like