OF 2 -> 3 + New Computer

Hi Folks,

I have been doing some research about upgrading from OF 2.12.4 (running on MacOS 10.12) to a new computer running MacOS 11.1, where I would presumably be using the latest version of OF 3.

Up to now, I have not been using Omni Sync because I only had one device, but in addition to the new computer I have an iPhone (iOS 14.3), so I want to start sync’ing my database anyway.

Can I start by syncing my current database from the old computer to the Omni Sync Server? Then I would open OF 3 in the new computer, point it to the Onmi Sync server, at that point it would presumably need to convert the database to be compatible with the current features of OF 3.

Would it be better to migrate my OF 2 database to my new computer as an exported omnifocus backup file, convert the database locally on my computer and then start sync’ing it to the Omni Sync server?

Either way, once the computer is happy with the OF 3 database and sync’ing it, then it seems like I can install OF 3 on my iPhone and also point it to the Omni Sync server and it should be good to go.

Also either way, once the database has been converted, my understanding is that the OF 2 version on my old computer wouldn’t be able to deal with it, so I am done using OF on the old computer (which cannot be upgraded to a newer MacOS because it needs to run some legacy software.) Is that true? It’s not a problem if I can’t use OF on both computers.

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can give me about completing this operation.

I would do it the first way:

OF3 will prompt you to migrate the database format. At that point you won’t be able to sync the OF2 instance anymore. It is in fact possible to decline the migration and continue to sync with OF2, but then you won’t be able to use many of the new capabilities in OF3, which would be a shame.

I suggest you read this part of the manual before pulling the trigger: ‘Migrating your Database’ in https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omnifocus/mac/3.11/en/getting-synced/#getting-synced

Thanks a bunch. That was going to be my next question, about making sure that the OF 2 didn’t corrupt the database after the conversion, but it sounds like it will not allow OF 2 to sync after the conversion, so that should not be a problem.

It won’t. OF won’t proceed with the migration while there are incompatible clients still syncing with the database.

Yes, it looks like I revoke permission for my old computer to sync at the time the database is converted, so that is good.

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.