OF 2 for ipad won't open! [9/27 Update: fixed builld rolling out to App Store now]

The same problem here! :-(

This is really a big disappointment. Especially when I depend on OmniFocus2 working on my iPad when I have to travel with a broken ankle and can not carry a lot of luggage. I agree with Jason who said “Rookie mistake”.

Here is the response that I received from OmniGroup Support regarding this issue. I am really not sure why they haven’t posted it to the forums yet.

Please accept our deepest apologies from all of us here at the Omni Group. Earlier this evening, we discovered that the build of OmniFocus 2 for iPad which we submitted to Apple for distribution on the App Store erroneously included code that was only intended to be active in the pre-release/testing phase.

That erroneously-included code enforces an expiration date that asks you to download a newer build, then causes the app to shut down. This mistake is why you’re seeing the “This OmniFocus prerelease has expired, please install a new build from Omni” message just before the app shuts down.

We have corrected our error in a new build which has been submitted to Apple along with a request for an expedited review by the App Store team. To prevent anyone else from being affected by our error, we have temporarily removed OmniFocus 2 for iPad from sale on the app store.

This problem affects everyone that’s purchased the app, and until we’re able to have the new build reviewed and approved by the App Store team, there is no way to avoid or prevent the app from shutting down. (Reinstalling the app will not fix the problem until we are able to get the new build approved.)

We are ashamed and incredibly sorry that this has happened.

We’ll make the update available as soon as we’re able to do so - at no charge, of course - to everyone who’s purchased the app. Until that happens, product searches on the App Store will not find OmniFocus 2, but anyone that has already bought it can use the “Purchases” tab in the app store to verify that it is still available to their iTunes account.

We do not yet know when Apple’s team will be able to review and approve the new build; for the time being, using OmniFocus for iPhone or v1 of OmniFocus for iPad (if you’ve already purchased it) appear to be the best options.

This support article will help you re-install v1 of OmniFocus for iPad if you own it:
http://support.omnigroup.com/update-app-which-is-no-longer-sold

If you have any questions, let me know and I’ll be happy to help. Again, from all of us here: we are so, so sorry.

Sincerely,

Brian C.
Support Manager
Omni Group

Please cut the guys at OmniGroup a bit of slack. This is definitely an annoying and embarrassing issue, but we’re all only human - mistakes happen. Once the issue was discovered, they were very fast to respond – on a Friday night, no less. They had a fix released in a matter of hours.

The only reason we’re still talking about this issue and the that the outage wasn’t over shortly after it began is the App store review process. The Omnigroup has done all they could, as quickly as they could, to address this issue; now, we’re just waiting on Apple.

2 Likes

Is there anyone from OmniGroup to us with this situation, at least expressed. Personally for OmniFocus for iPad 2 (yet) important to me. I think that as paying customers deserve.
@OmniGroup, Thanks for the response.

I’m sure OmniFocus support is doing all they can right now. Imagine how many thousands of emails they must have streaming in about this issue as we speak. Even if they’ve called their entire support group in to work the week, which I’m sure they have, there’s only so much you can deal with at once.

1 Like

High standards of quality and support are what Omni is selling. OF is complicated, inflexible, and slow to load and sync relative to competitors. However, it is feature-rich and has had a reliable sync. Probably this is single very unfortunate oversight, but it does involve a key asset of Omnigroup: user trust.

We’ll see how it will look on Monday. I need to plan your time. If it does not work with OmniFocus, it will go with something else.
BTW: From your replies I have the impression that for the customer as I can myself. I respect your opinion, but do not agree with him.

What should have been on OmniGroup’s company iPad OF2
—Delete beta test build from App Store
—Upload the real deal iPad OF2 to avoid having egg on our face

Wow- This is rough after spending $30 and moving my system over to this just this week. Charging more should mean better service… How can I find out when it is back up?

@daryl: So what? All they (can) do is sending out the pre-defined, standardized message (see above). No big deal for the support team. No weekend work call-in neccessary.

1 Like

I’ve started a new thread with a response timeline and current status:

Thank you for your response. Good luck in resolving this error over the weekend.

Yes same problem for me.
Reading the blog, it appears that the fix was small in nature. But why was it over looked in the first place?
For a while after Steve Jobs died, everything Apple continued º long the lines of “it just works” this appears to be no longer the case. Are we so reliant upon technology that we no longer have to think about what one does or is responsible for?
That technology will tell us when we have done something wrong or not done it at all. Technology is not that good, that it can save us from ourselves. Or in the case of the OF developers save them from their complacency!

Same issue here. Buggered over the weekend now. Disappointed. Let’s hope for the update real soon

Sadly, I fear it will, for quite a while until fixed.

But hey, you are amongst the “good guys” in app development, and as stupid and embarrassing as this is, I’m sure the goodwill you have built in the Mac and iOS community will buy you a bit of slack. Good luck with getting Apple to react quickly!

Omnifocus really dropped xt he ball on this one. Submitting app updates is a repeat process. If they kept a todo list in Omnifocus on the steps necessary to release a major update this would not have happened!

On the other hand if you use there sync solution you will never miss a todo because you can easily continue work on iPhone or Mac

In case folks haven’t been following the updates on our blog and in the pinned timeline thread, the fixed 2.0.1 release was approved about 11 hours ago and is now available as a free update:

Again, our sincere apologies for the error!

(I’m closing this thread so that this resolution is easy for folks reading the thread to find, but I don’t mean to discourage further discussion. Please feel free to reply to this post in a new thread.)