OF2 to Outlook 2015

I wanted to chime in, in case this was ever resolved. Also – as per the comment above – to point out that sandboxing / Mac App Store is ruining OmniFocus and to beg and plead that a real, non-crippled version be released that can address these issues. Thanks!

Ugh… I feel like an idiot posting this… ;)

Stephen - saw your post on Rainer’s site; http://rainer.4950.net/2014/06/04/outlook-to-omnifocus2-take-12/#comment-51717

I download it and put it into ~Library/ Application Support/ Microsoft/ Office/ Outlook Script Menu Items

I fired up Outlook 2015… However i cannot for the life of me find any menu items which executes the script?

• Does it appear as a menu item? / toolbar? / right clicking? / something else??

Sorry to be daft

Mother Microsoft has deemed the scripts menu doesn’t belong in Office 2015, although the apps themselves are still fully scriptable. So, you have a couple of options: make a rule to execute a script which you manually trigger, or use a script utility like FastScripts to trigger the script. Hope this helps.

I actually didn’t even notice that the scripts menu had been pulled in Outlook 15 - I’ve been using FastScripts to trigger my capture scripts for years.

on a sidenote - it looks like in a recent update of Outlook 2015 (I have 15.6), Microsoft pulled the ability to use a rule to run an Applescript. Run Applescript simply is not there anymore. It was there in 15.3.

You can use Automator to create a service to run apple script and assign a shortcut key via Outlook -> Services menu.

I cannot seem to find a way to save the Outlook 15 message to file so that I can attach the original mail to the OmniFocus. The following command that worked perfectly fine in the previous Outlook for Mac versions errors out in Outlook 15 for Mac.

save theMessage in theFileName

Works great for me. It has to be launched with Keyboard Maestro or other tool like this.

HI everyone, I recently extended the script with some feature from the Outlook-to-Things script by LuMe96. Here’s the changelog:

Changelog:

• New: Option to switch between file attachment and direct data-directory link to reduce library size (attachMailToOFTask)
  • New: Option to switch between the way multiple selected messages are handled (e.g. one task with multiple messages vs. one task per message) (multiSelectMultiTask)
  • New: Option to expand note in QuickEntry (expandNotes)
  • New: Option to trim message by number of characters
  • New: Option to trim subject line by keywords (e.g. Re:, Fwd:, …)
  • Changed: Task title now formatted as Sender : Subject

As said before, most of it relies on the work and all credit goes to Rainer && LuMe96.

Get the script here: Download

Ps: I should probably put this up on GitHub, let me know if you think this is useful for extensibility and I’ll make an effort :)

1 Like

Really nice job - thanks! especially the removal of “re” or “fwd”, makes a nice, clean result in OF2.

Hi, i installed the script in the carpet, but i dont know how to activated?. what can i do if a want to use it?

You need some third-party tool to trigger the script. Look out for BetterTouchTool (this is what I use), Keyboard Maestro or FastScripts. Those three seem to be the most popular.

Cheers,
Thomas

ok, i downloaded bettertouchtool, but what have i do now? sorry but im not an mac expert!! thanks!!

Could someone please share how to trigger this script in Outlook 15 (2016)? Thanks!

I use Launchbar. Save the script into a folder that Launchbar indexes, then you can just use the cmd-space shortcut and invoke it by starting to type the name you’ve give the script.

Is anyone else having trouble running this script? It used to work for a while but no longer. No error message, but nothing happens. I’m using Alfred app to trigger the script. Is there a way I can run a debugger or somehow troubleshoot the issue? I’m not familiar with Script Editor but having trouble running it in there (to try to debug) while having a message in Outlook selected.

I’m using OmniFocus Pro v2.2.3 and Outlook v15.12.3.

-Dan

I’m having trouble with this, too. Sometimes it fires (using Keyboard Maestro), but often nothing happens.

This usually happens when one of the following is true:

• Calendar alerts is showing (warning popup should appear)
  • More than one main window is open

Try to run the script from AppleScript Editor and see if it throws an error in there.

Just note that I put together a little custom URL handler for use with Outlook similar to the old LuMe96:// style handler. This one uses outlook:// style URLs with the message id. Check it out here

I also updated the Omnifocus-to-Outlook script. You can now set attachMailToOFTask to 3 in order to add outlook://style links in your task.

Best wishes,
Thomas

Thank you, Thomas for your update. I’m trying it now with the new outlook:// style links and it’s working great (with Alfred launching it).

In the past I had troubles getting it to launch even after quitting and restarting Outlook (with no calendar alerts present). I was having trouble replicating that consistently though and the last several times it has worked perfectly. I’ll let you know if I start having troubles again and if AppleScript Editor works then or not.

Thanks again,

• Dan

Hi Thomas, great updated script! Thank you.
If it helps people with multiple exchange accounts in Outlook, you need to indicate which account the msg is moved to:

set theAccount to account of theMessage 
set category of theMessage to category "Omnifocus"
move theMessage to folder moveMailToFolderName of theAccount

One thing I also noticed. When I was using Rainer’s script in Outlook 2011, the script would work when a message was “Open” in its own window. The new one just doesn’t do anything then, I am not sure how the previous behavior can be restored – it was very handy (for example, when sending a msg for which a follow-up action would be required to be tracked in Omnifocus) :-).

Thank you for your work in offering this to everyone. Are there any detailed instructions anywhere explaining how to get this working? I now have things partly working in Outlook 2015 (I switched back to Mail for a while, but that now crashes frequently for me). I can use a keyboard shortcut via Keyboard Maestro to being up the dialog window, and it saves my task to OmniFocus. When I click on the link in the task, though, it opens a seemingly random Outlook contact card, as opposed to the desired mail message. I have installed the OutlookURLHandler.app as well as the Outlook to OmniFocus script. I’m not sure if they have to be placed in a particular folder any longer or not, or if there is some other setting I’m missing. Thanks for any help.