OmniFocus 3 with Outlook 2016

I am using it in Alfred. Basically what I am saying is this script from @zzamboni works with Alfred/OF2 but not Alfred OF3.

@checkingthingsout OK - I just noticed I’m getting the same error as you. My Chrome-to-OF script is also not working. This was working a few days ago, so it must be some recent change in OF3. I’ll take a look ASAP.

Thank you - you are incredible.

@zzamboni
I just put your script as is in to my system and it works. I am activating it via AppleScript directly from “BetterTouchTool”

@checkingthingsout it seems the problem is in the quick dialog entry. If you pass the “nodialog” argument to the script, then it works fine for me. For example, the following gives the error:

osascript outlook-to-omnifocus.applescript

But the following works:

osascript outlook-to-omnifocus.applescript nodialog

There must have been some change in the quick entry AppleScript interface which I have to figure out.

@yury: I’m glad the script works for you! Not sure what the difference is. Maybe slightly different versions of OF3?

Isn’t the problem that without the quick entry you can’t direct where the action goes?

Glad to see this discussion. I emailed support a few days ago because my Outlook to OF script has also broken in OF3 and it seems related to the quick entry panel. This very simple script reproduces the problem:

tell application “OmniFocus”
tell quick entry
set _task to make new inbox task with properties {name:“yeye”}
end tell

If I run this and then invoke the quick entry window, the task is there, but hitting “save” does not add it to the inbox like it used to, or to anywhere else in OF. Setting a tag for the task in the quick entry panel causes OF to crash.

I’m also somehow not seeing this line in the script.

@checkingthingsout without the quick entry dialog, the task gets put directly into the Inbox, from where you can classify it. Also, the line I showed is not in the script - it’s an example for how to execute the script from the Terminal, using the osascript command, with and without the nodialog argument. You need to adjust the argument depending on how you are executing the script.

@genecivillico thanks for the minimal example - I see the same behavior (task appears in the dialog, but pressing “Save” does not actually create it).

@zzamboni thank you. I thought the quick entry dialogue you added was an incredibly powerful addition to the script. it would be terrific to preserve it somehow.

@zzamboni cool. I feel like something must be awry here since selecting a tag in quick entry shouldn’t crash OF.

@zzamboni - Ahhh. that might be it. I am using Beta version, which sound like it is fixed.

I guess you might want me to test something… just PM me.

Happy to report that the most recent point release (3.1.2) has fixed this for me.

From release notes:

Crash — Fixed a regression where running a script which populated, then opened, Quick Entry could result in either data loss or a crash.

1 Like

I’ve downloaded the script, placed it in the correct folder, but when I select a message in Outlook and click the script’s name on the “Outlook Scripts” section of the Scripts tool, nothing happens. How do I use this script to add an Outlook mail message to my Omnifocus 3 Inbox?

Thanks

Hi all,

I’ve got the script working, and it places a copy of the email in my inbox. My question is:

In the older outlook and older OF it would include a link to the email. So from OF I could double click that link and open up the email that I’d previously captured so I could respond.

Is this now not possible?

Hi AudoMate,

I believe the issue is a change in out Outlook works now. I’ve tried to recreate that functionality in my own branch of Justin’s script and I can’t get it to work either.

Good News - managed to get the script working for Omni 3 and Outlook 2016!

But one small item. (On my previous script i used) You were able to set a flag to del the email as part of the move.

Now it just stays in my inbox - small issue but would love the advice on what setting I need to change.

I’ve been able to get my version of the script to work. I’m curious if anyone has got a version that does what Warren wants by deleting/trashing the email after it gets copied over?

I’ve been trying to solve this problem for a bit and had installed the following app, to enable the outlook:// URL handler. I was then using another script to generate the link and copying it into the task. (Ugh)

But found this script and message string today, so I modified the original script to add that field to the task notes. I haven’t had a lot of time to test. If I can figure out how do the pull request on the script, I’ll merge it into the Git repo of the original script and someone smarter than me can modify / properly implement.

I modified the following section “PROCESS EMAIL CONTENT”:

--PROCESS EMAIL CONTENT
					set m_Content to plain text content of theProps
					set msgID to id of theProps
					set msgURL to "outlook://" & msgID as string
					set theContent to return & return & "Link: " & msgURL & return & "Name: " & s_Name & return & "Subject: " & r_2 & return & "Sent: " & r_3 & return & "Category: " & r_4 & return & return & return & return & m_Content & return & return

So, the notes of the task in OF looked like:

Link: outlook://134700
Name: Dustin J. Schnabel
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Test Message
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 at 1:28:50 PM
Category:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.