OmniFocus 4 First Look & Invitation to Help Test

Introducing OmniFocus 4! A first look at the update currently in development for iPad and iPhone is now available on the blog:

https://www.omnigroup.com/blog/omnifocus-4-first-look-invitation-to-help-test

Interested in helping our team test OmniFocus 4? Sign up now to join the OmniFocus 4 TestFlight Waitlist:

https://www.omnigroup.com/test/omnifocus-4

7 Likes

In the blog it is mentioned that OmniFocus 4 will be a universal cross-platform product. Maybe obvious, but will it run on Intel iMacs?

Yes, the Mac app will continue to be a native Mac app and will run on any Mac hardware which is running macOS 11 or later.

7 Likes

Thank you!

Will there be any new capabilities for Mac, or just bringing iOS up to Mac capability level?

Moreover, will there finally be a confirmation dialogue before (accidentially) deleting tasks, projects folders etc.? I would upgrade my whole mac and my OS only for this feature. Please.

1 Like

Any plans to mac the Mac-Only App availabe to OSx Moajve or Catalina users? There are still some people avoiding Big Sur… Thanks.

Would there also be a news Mac-Only App (Omnifocus 4) than? A bit confusef about the end status of the Apps.

They’re focusing on the iOS/iPadOS app first with the Mac Public Beta coming a bit afterwards.

In the above thread, Ken Case did state MacOS 11 as the minimum requirement so Mojave and Catalina is most likely out of the question.

May I respectfully ask that the long-standing bug whereby URLs do not work (resolve to the correct actual address) in the Notes panel be fixed, please?

I know the good people at Omni know about it: have reported it several times… I’m sure it’s on your lists. But it’d be really useful to have any URL that is pasted into that field open correctly, please.

TIA, and good luck!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hi,

I’m interested in the pricing strategy. I’m a one-time purchase Pro user for current version and wondering if OF 4 will be a paid upgrade or subscription only?

Both options will be available with a discount for existing users. This is addressed in the blog post at the top of the thread.

3 Likes

Will this Omnifocus 4 finally have an option for notification / confirmation before deleting tasks and projects?

2 Likes

This is great news. I like the iPad version better than the Mac version but it is missing a few features. It will be really great to have the same experience across all platforms,

What’s the calendar integration going to be like? I would love it if all tasks with deadlines get pushed to a calendar that can be integrated with (for example) Google or the Mac calendar app. I’m still on OF2, and as far as I know, only tasks within the next two weeks are sync’d.

OF has been great for organizing my projects and tasks - but often, I’ll have deadlines that are months and months into the future, and it’s handy to see them in the context of my other calendar stuff (e.g., travel).

The calendar support has always seemed cryptic to me, without a clear “right way” to do things so that a task/bit of information doesn’t get lost.

1 Like

I have officially given up hope for some sort of sharing of projects and/or tasks between family members. sniffle

1 Like

I’ve used the Apple Reminders app to share lists. Not everyone in my family needs the power an flexibility of OmniFocus.

1 Like

I desperately hope that OmniFocus 4 will add the ability to have tasks repeat at specific times of day - e.g. every day at 6pm - so that regardless of whether they are ticked off the night before or in the morning they still reoccur at the time specified.

My other request is for Perspectives to finally support tags properly - i.e. let us create a Perspective to display taskst hat include a specific tag (and this is the important bit) without also displaying all the other tags that those tasks are tagged with. Currently, the other tags clutter the interface, making using it on a daily basis a complete headache.

2 Likes

I desperately hope that OmniFocus 4 will add the ability to have tasks repeat at specific times of day - e.g. every day at 6pm - so that regardless of whether they are ticked off the night before or in the morning they still reoccur at the time specified.

This is possible in OmniFocus 3…though it may not be exactly what you’re looking for.

For example, you can have a repeating action that’s deferred to 6pm and set to repeat daily with “Repeat From This Item’s” set to “Assigned Dates”.

When you mark this complete, it will be deferred to the next date in the cycle. If the action was deferred to yesterday at 6pm, and is marked complete this morning, it will become available again today at 6pm. The caveat is that if the action were deferred to two days ago at 6pm and you marked it complete today, the new defer date would be yesterday at 6pm. In this case, you’d probably want to manually adjust the defer date.

My other request is for Perspectives to finally support tags properly - i.e. let us create a Perspective to display tasks that include a specific tag (and this is the important bit) without also displaying all the other tags that those tasks are tagged with . Currently, the other tags clutter the interface, making using it on a daily basis a complete headache.

In OmniFocus 3 (and OmniFocus 4) you can change the View settings so that tags are not displayed.

I hope this helps!

2 Likes

It still does baffle me that Tags don’t work the way I assumed they would when OF3 came out. I’d like to, for example, have two dimensions of Tags for tasks. Let’s say location and energy level, although they’re just for illustration.

If I create a perspective and want to see my available tasks grouped by location Tags, I can only see either a mess of Tag combos like “Home, High Energy,” “Home, Low Energy,” “Office, High Energy,” and “Office, Medium Energy” or have the energy level tags chilling out in the perspective to clutter it up and be ignored. If I were to collapse those Tags, though, OF would collapse them everywhere.

If I create a perspective to include certain Tags I should be able to only group by those included Tags and not others.

For lack of this ability, I still do things essentially the OF2 way and rarely assign multiple tags to a task.

4 Likes